Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying Geese >

Flying Geese

Flying Geese

Old 11-22-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Flying Geese

I ordered a quilt kit that includes instructions for cutting squares for flying geese the traditional way (the stitch & flip method). Since there are a lot of flying geese I would prefer to use the no waste method to make 4 at a time. For some reason I am having a brain freeze & can’t figure out how to convert the cutting instructions. Would I cut 1/4 as many squares than rectangles called for? And would I need 1 small square per goose? This sounds correct but I’m afraid to cut my fabric without knowing for sure.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:12 AM

There are lots of links for 4 at a time no waste FG. Here's one for you https://www.scrapish.com/no-waste-flying-geese.html

You only cut squares. This is one of my fav blocks to make. Hint...need accurate 1/4 seam and careful pressing.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:17 AM

Google "No Waste Flying Geese". You will find fabric cutting charts and how to construct your blocks. I had used a chart from Bloc Loc but I can no longer find it on their site.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:32 AM

I know how to make the no waste flying geese, but if my pattern calls for 40 flying geese made the traditional way by cutting 40 rectangles & 80 small squares, would I cut 10 large squares and 40 smaller squares in order to use the no waste method? I’m sure this is correct, but I need a little reassurance. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2020, 05:39 AM

Yes - 10 large squares and 40 small squares will give you 40 finished geese. Have fun!

]
Old 11-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
There are lots of links for 4 at a time no waste FG. Here's one for you https://www.scrapish.com/no-waste-flying-geese.html

You only cut squares. This is one of my fav blocks to make. Hint...need accurate 1/4 seam and careful pressing.
This is my favorite way as well to make a lot of Flying Geese/ Easy, efficient and quick! The only change I make is cut the four squares for the background 1/4" larger that what it calls for - that gives you a little wiggle room for squaring up the top.