Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flynn Frame >

Flynn Frame

Flynn Frame

Old 11-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Does anyone have a Flynn Frame for machine quilting? I just picked one up at a outlet craft store this weekend for $16, Had the 42" rods and everything. Just wondered if anyone had any tips.
I think this will work good for me since i live in an apartment and can tuck it in a closet when not using it.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

I don't have any advise..buty wondering which craft store you got such a good deal at..and if I can get one? :D
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM

They have a big craft supply co. here in town that suppiles a lot of the big craft store with stuff. And this is their outlet store. They were running a lot of specials this weekend. You just have to watch what you pick up because some of the stuff is damaged. or has stuff missing. But they have a lot of good deals too. I just happened to see this frame back in a corner of a shelf and too a peek in the box to make sure it was all there. The only thing I found when I got it home was that the video that came with it was a little damage, but I think you can watch the instructions on his website. So I am not sure how this happened to be in their store but I think she gets stuff from all over. It was the only one she had.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

i have one and i'm thrilled with the purchase.

first thing you should do is watch the "how to" dvd.

since i quilt on a small throat domestic sewing machine i remove the middle rod ASAP. this way i can roll the quilt forward/backward however i like without having to cut thread and tie off.

this allows me to do intricate designs in a small 6 inch space.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm anxious to hear more comments about this frame -

It seems some love it - and others don't -
Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 PM

DVD helps. I read the booklet and was like :?: :?: and watched the movie and was like 8) . I love mine. I finished a 5.5 ft x 7 ft quilt in 25 hours, and I was only quilting for about 1/3 of that time.

Home Depot had a good pipe that I used to make longer pipes. Make sure any pipes you get are sturdy. My first attempt had very bowed pipes and was a waste of $.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 PM

scrap_lover09, I don't have that frame, but my DH made me quite similar! The only issue I have with it are trying to keep the pvc support pieces (that the frame rests on) straight! They keep wanting to go sideways, which messes me up. Also, as soon as I leave the room, the cats jump up on it, as it makes a real comfy hammock for them! Luckily all the cat hair that I quilt into the quilts all seem to still wash out.

Could you tell me the name of that outlet store? I'm only about 40 minutes from Grandville!
Thanks!! :D
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

I use mine for smaller quilts, but it doesn't seem to work as well for my big quilts.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I use mine for smaller quilts, but it doesn't seem to work as well for my big quilts.
Mine took a few Home Depot/Lowes trips to get solid pipes but once I got decent pipes, it works fine on larger quilts. though now I need a bigger table :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM

I'm glad to see these positive comments. I have a Flynn frame but haven't yet used it due to negative comments. Didn't know if it was worth the effort to set up and learn to use. But now I think I'll give it a try. I was thinking if nothing else you could use it to baste for hand quilting.