Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flynn Multi-Frame

Thats very encouraging to hear. I will be getting one in Feb of next year and I am pleasd to know that it is that easy.

I thought I could save a little cash & make my own.... I just could not find the correct parts. I found the Euro-kit for $49 online at Allbrands.com. John Flynn's website has it for $78. It includes everything except the fiberglass rods but I want rods longer than 48inches anyway & John Flynn says you can use pvc.
    John Flynn's website http://www.flynnquilt.com/ has a link to the DVD that comes with his kit.
    I am ordering mine in the next week or so & can hardly wait.
    For the quilter that keeps rolling off the table, John Flynn recommends taping a pencil to the table or using the gel wrist rests (for computers) to keep the large pvc from falling off the ends.
    Jo

I too was looking for maximum bang for the buck. I couldn't understand why John's frame was so much less so I asked him. He explained that with the others the machine is moving. At the time I just wanted to be able to quilt on a frame so I bought the kit. I also got a maximizer 6 and 2 pack so that I could use either wood or pvc tubing.
    As much as I wanted it to work it was extremely frustrating. I was patient I tried numerous things to correct little irritants but it never got better and I put it away in a box. I believe I have the dvd but I'm not positive. He shows you everything you need to do online.
    My honest suggestion is to save your time and money and then buy a frame. You can find them used all the time. I would have been much happier saving a few hundred dollars and buying a frame that actually works well with results that make you proud.
    I now have a Hinterberg stretch frame ($899) It is a dream combined with my Juki 98Q. I would suggest the combo to anyone who is just starting out on a frame. If you want to buy my Flynn frame you can have it for $25 + shipping. I feel bad even asking that for it.

A quick confirmation......save your money.
    A friend from another forum had her husband make a frame for her, using John Flyy;s design and video. She coule not make it work. I, too, suggest you skip the disappointment and frustration. I had planned to go that route until someone here discouraged me. I wound up buying a frame/machine combo and could not be happier. The Flynn system has frustration written all over it.

Here is another one that looks about the same. Does anyone here have this one??? And has it met your expectations?

http://www.easyquilter.com/nextpage.html

I would want to find someone who is happy with this frame. Perhaps they can walk you through learning to use it. John has it all down pat and makes it look so easy. Not so for the novice.

I guess I should put in my two cents. I have the Flynn system and am very happy. I had no problems with it or learning how to use it at all. You do need the vidio so make sure you get that. Some people never get it. Before I bought it I read the pros and cons too. I finally thought for the money, I have to give it a go, and I am so glad I did. Now of course I would love one of the much more expensive ones. But this does the trick. And also it is so easy to store when you are limited in space which I am. So it is a decision you will have to make. I made the right one and bought it!! :D

Donna Rae, would you please share with us the size quilts you are able to quilt on this frame. Will the whole quilt fit into the frame so you don't have to make changes and adjustments while working on it? How big an area are you able to quilt, assuming you are using a regular size home sewing machine. I think this information would be helpful to those who feel this is their only option for right now. Hey, and if you were able to make it work for you, more power to you. I don't handle frustration very well and did not want to get upset the toss the thing out the door!

Thanks for sharing a Positive about this frame. Many need to hear this to help them make a decision.

You can do all quilt sizes up to king depending on your rods. I believe he now sales all the rods (which he did not do when I bought, but he tells you how in the vidio and written instructions) but you can go to any home store and by the pvc yourself. You also can do more then one project at a time, just by buying extra rods which I have not done yet. It is just like taking it apart to put away except you put on the other rods and leave the one you were working on put away. Actually you can do as many projects as you want, which probably is not a good thing for us quilters as we always have so many UFOs. :D Also the quilting area does depend on how much room you have in the neck area. The smaller the less room for quiling. I used my Brother which does not have much room (6 1/2 inches I believe) for quite a while. I watched the local ads and bought a older Kenmore machine for $25 which it has l little over 9 inches and makes for quilting a larger area. You just have to play with it to get the feel. I still am not great at quilting but not due to the machine, but due to me not practicing enough. Have been doing quilt as you go projects and stuff like that. Anything takes pratice, and if you start something and expect it to be perfect at first especially when it comes to quilting you are going to be dissapointed. You definitly get what you paid for and more with the Flynn quilter. It takes patience and practice. Phew, that was long winded. :D

Did you try it with a quilt larger than a wall hanging. I am really thinking about getting one, but make mostly larger quilts. Will it work? Sure hope so.

I am buying the frame from desertdebbe, thanks Debbe!
    I do a LOT of hand quilting so even if I don't get the hang of it for machine quilting I will be able to use it for hand quilting.
    DonnaRae thanks for your words of encouragement. I am usually pretty good at learning new things & look forward to a new challenge.
    I will let you know how it works out for me.
    Jo

I actually have this and it does work. You have to quilt the area, then rearrange the quilt, and proceed.

I also purchased the Flynn frame. I am finishing up a queen size top and I will be quilting it on this with my Janome 1600P. When I get it set up and started, I'm going to post photos of it, but it probably won't be until sometime in June.

Quote Originally Posted by joannl
    I am buying the frame from desertdebbe, thanks Debbe!
    I do a LOT of hand quilting so even if I don't get the hang of it for machine quilting I will be able to use it for hand quilting.
    DonnaRae thanks for your words of encouragement. I am usually pretty good at learning new things & look forward to a new challenge.
    I will let you know how it works out for me.
    Jo
    I am glad you are going to give it a go. Make sure you have the vidio. You do need it! I almost did not buy it because of the negative feedback. But there were a couple of good feedbacks so that is why I bought it and am glad I did. I could not afford anything else. The only thing I will say is you don't have to arrange it as often if you have a bigger neck on your machine. That is why I bought the $25 Kenmore. (It is an oldie but boy is it a good machine). Can't wait untill you start using it. Let us know!

Joannl
    There is a cd with the frame as well as some printed instructions.
    I hope it is everything you are hoping for. The best thing about the frame
    for me was NO MORE BASTING. That is always great.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdebbe
    I too was looking for maximum bang for the buck. I couldn't understand why John's frame was so much less so I asked him. He explained that with the others the machine is moving. At the time I just wanted to be able to quilt on a frame so I bought the kit. I also got a maximizer 6 and 2 pack so that I could use either wood or pvc tubing.
    As much as I wanted it to work it was extremely frustrating. I was patient I tried numerous things to correct little irritants but it never got better and I put it away in a box. I believe I have the dvd but I'm not positive. He shows you everything you need to do online.
    My honest suggestion is to save your time and money and then buy a frame. You can find them used all the time. I would have been much happier saving a few hundred dollars and buying a frame that actually works well with results that make you proud.
    I now have a Hinterberg stretch frame ($899) It is a dream combined with my Juki 98Q. I would suggest the combo to anyone who is just starting out on a frame. If you want to buy my Flynn frame you can have it for $25 + shipping. I feel bad even asking that for it.
    dear desert debbie,i am definitly inteestedin buyingyour flynn frame if you still have it !please pm me & let me know !!!dar627742

Dar, I sold that long ago. So sorry.
    Personally, I would keep your eye out for a used frame if you can't spend the $800 for a Hinterberg stretch frame. That one I'm familiar with and love it. Some of the other type older frames need upgrading so might not be such a good deal.
    As I said before, I found the Flynn frame very frustrating. Did I make it work? Yes but other frames (with carriages for the machine) are so much easier and enjoyable. JMHO.

No, sorry.

I also have the Flynn frame that I bought years ago, but I don't like it. I think I will give it another try. If I don't like it, I will probably be selling it...Maybe I just didn't give it a chance.

I so love your post. I too live with Mr. Murphy or should I say Magiver. Remember the show where the guy could fix anything with a paper clip or rubber band. My DH does it all, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical. I should be greatful and I AM, it's just that my stuff never gets done. I guess I need to start making appointments with him and paying a bill. What do you think. Well, we gotta love em. He is a good guy. LOL in Christ, Carmen, Happy Stitchin.
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Chris, thanks for asking that question. I am a couple of months away from actually making a decision on a frame. John Flynn is the one that caught my eye.

My delay is the fact that we are having our basement finished, and the "slow-poke" that lives here is taking his time. (actually he is 76 and works a part time job. He thinks he is "all things, to all people" - meaning everyone else except the wife.) He has told me he would make a frame from PVC if I could get a pattern or a picture to help him unsderstand what to do. Would anyone suggest having a frame made, or would it be best to go ahead and buy the thing, problem free. You know how it is, when someone thinks they know what they are doing, invariably Murphy's law comes into play. I have lived wtih (Mr.) Murphy for 53 years. Perhaps I need to order this and pretend I did not hear his offer.

thanks for all your helpful comments
    June

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2