Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Advice & Suggestions Please >

FMQ Advice & Suggestions Please

FMQ Advice & Suggestions Please

Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 AM

I would do something with curves to be different than the pointed stars. Perhaps just a "squiggly" quilting.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and compliments. I will do some practice sandwich blocks & build up my courage before beginning. I really want to learn to FMQ since it is too expensive for me to send quilts out to be done.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Cindy
I am currently taking FMQ classes and there are several things I have learned from this set of classes that I didn't learn from some I took several years ago. The best suggestion is get Harriet Hargrave's book "Heirloom Maching Quilting" and read it. Then practice 15 minutes a day for a week or two. Nothing beats practice. If you bump up against problems, refer to the suggestions that Harriet suggests. I have found that has been the soulution to most of my problems.
Good advice. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
How big are the main stars (without the shadow star)? If your batting will allow you to use a distance far enough to STID around the main star - then I would do that. Then echo stich the shadow star. Meander the background of each. Then a vine, leaf, or feather design in the frame.

If the main star is too big and you have to quilt inside it ... STID your pieces in the star (assume they're diamonds?) to meet in the center of the star - but again - just the main star. Treat the shadow star differently.
The blocks are made up of 2" squares (finished size) & HST's. So the center of the main star is 4" sq. plus HST's making the points.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Cindy
I am currently taking FMQ classes and there are several things I have learned from this set of classes that I didn't learn from some I took several years ago. The best suggestion is get Harriet Hargrave's book "Heirloom Maching Quilting" and read it. Then practice 15 minutes a day for a week or two. Nothing beats practice. If you bump up against problems, refer to the suggestions that Harriet suggests. I have found that has been the soulution to most of my problems.
Thanks for that suggestion. Excellent advice. I have ordered the book -- can't wait to get it.
Janet in Ohio
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM

I am still learning FMQ, but what I have learned is that if you are doing it totally free hand smaller curves (less than saucer size) are easier to make look good than larger curves. I started by using a template to chalk a basic design on the quilt and work from that. It helped me keep my proportions and not wander off into never land.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM

i love your stars!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM

I would do a simple " swirl or petals" shape in the main star. I would quilt the "shadow" with parallel lines to follow the shape and define it as being in the background. The book in the picture has TONS of the simple, beginning designs you would need. You might want to check the website "Half.com"
That is where I get most of my books - new and used.
Great quilt!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200189.jpe  
Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Great job on the quilt top, I like the shadow effect on the stars.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

This is a great pattern. Is it your own creation ? Everybody will want it! As for quilting this little gem I would keep it simple In the Ditch around the window panes and echo the inside of stars. I love this creation!