Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ- Any tips? >

FMQ- Any tips?

FMQ- Any tips?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 AM

Definitely gloves. I use the Fons & Porter and although they were $10, I find them worth every penny. I've also found that sewing "backward", ie. with the fabric coming towards me rather than away seems somehow easier. It looks like you're stopping or hesitating at the top of the loops on your meander. Just gather your courage and complete the loop before stopping. Great idea to keep your practice pieces!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM

I don't even try to FMQ without my quilting gloves on. Makes a big difference!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM

Yes, as some others have already mentioned, use a larger sandwich to practice on = 1/2 yd. works well for me. Practice drawing your design on paper, a roll of plastic preview or a dry erase board. Go to Leah Day's site : daystyledesigns.com. She has 100's of videos showing 400+ designs for fmq. She demos on a 4" square, but watching her fmq really helps me. Then practice, practice, practice. It takes lots of practice to learn this skill. For me, I dislike designs that are very random (stippling), I like to have a definite plan as to where my design is going. There are lots of videos out there on YouTube, also many books.

I also have found that wearing gloves really helps having control of the fabric sandwich. Machingers are my glove of choice, my hands don't get hot in them and I've tried others.

Last edited by fireworkslover; 08-22-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added another thought.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 AM

You are definitely getting better so keep on truckin'. One thing I've learned, the hard way, is to relax your arms and shoulders. Your control is so much better when you relax, the tenser I got the worse my sewing got. This is easier said than done so don't give up.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks to all for the hints. I read everyone of them. I think I am too much into perfection so get upset when my FMQ doesn't look as good as I want it too. Again thanks and I will try using bigger blocks to practice on and practice every day!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Some of us in our little group practiced, and practiced and then made sewing machine covers from our practice pieces. Someday I will replace that sad machine cover, but for now it is a great reminder of when I started FMQ, and reminds me to practice a little before I quilt on something I want really nice
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM

I have a couple of tips. Put on music, NOT rap or rock, nice soothing music. That will help you get a rhythm.

My friend that recently purchased a sit down machine for quilting complained she was using too much fabric and batting to practice. I told her to use water soluble thread in the bobbin. Practice, practice, practice. then spritz the back and take it apart to do it all over.

This hint was given to me by a quilt shop owner that sold the preprinted panels to practice upon.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s View Post
Thanks to all for the hints. I read everyone of them. I think I am too much into perfection so get upset when my FMQ doesn't look as good as I want it too. Again thanks and I will try using bigger blocks to practice on and practice every day!
I'm a recovering perfectionist too. Sometimes I even leave typos nowadays!
Just like learning to ride a bike, or any other skill though, once you have it, you have it, but you probably weren't doing all sorts of tricks the first time you rode a bike. Think of your practice time as the training wheel stage, and the first few days without the training wheels. You're building the skills. It's bound to have some bumps and weaves, but eventually, you will be smooth and it will be like you were always doing this.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM

In the FMQ class I took we were told to practice by drawing the pattern on paper and then when we were sewing it out to visualize our drawing and of course practice, practice, practice! I think you are doing great for just starting out. It will get better as you go along.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM

A couple of ideas that haven't been mentioned:
Write your name! You should have little trouble because you ave muscle memory. Try backwards as well.

When you have done a lot on your quilt sandwich, change the color of your top thread and use the same quilt sandwich for more practice. Saves fabric!

Good luck!