Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ and bobbin orientation question

FMQ and bobbin orientation question

Hey all,
    Any one noticed any difference in the quality of their FMQing when using a machine with a horizontal bobbin versus one with a vertical bobbin?

I'm checking out new machines and have noticed that I have to be much more careful about hand speed to avoid eyelashing on the backside when using machines with a horizontal drop in bobbin--I've noticed it especially on the Viking Sapphire machines that I've test-driven.

I've never had that problem with my 34 year old Brother which has a vertical bobbin and I've quilted lots of quilts over the years on it.

Thanks,
    Rob

I have a Janome 6600 with horizontal drop bobbin case and I haven't
    had any eyelash problem and I'm new at FMQing.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I have a Janome 6600 with horizontal drop bobbin case and I haven't
    had any eyelash problem and I'm new at FMQing.
    Thanks,
    I was FMQ doodling on the Viking Sapphires in the local Joann's and noticed it when I turned the sample over and looked at the back. Could just be user error since I was playing on an unfamiliar machine.

I have been quilting on my Bernina 1530 (vertical bobbin) for over 15 years and never had a problem with FMQ. It may just be a lark. I find that eyelashes appear when one is speeding moving the quilt faster than the machine can stitch especial around curves.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I have been quilting on my Bernina 1530 (vertical bobbin) for over 15 years and never had a problem with FMQ. It may just be a lark. I find that eyelashes appear when one is speeding moving the quilt faster than the machine can stitch especial around curves.

I seldom have the problem of eyelashes on the backside of a quilt with my elderly Brother machine which has a vertical bobbin. But I'm trying out a variety of new machines since I may be looking to upgrade in the next year or so.

The Viking Sapphires have a horizontal bobbin and I was getting serious eyelashing on the back. I probably just wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing since I was talking to the sales lady at the same time and being a bit excited by all that extra throat space LOL.

I get my best FMQ on my mechanical plastic 12 year old Costco variety Brother machine with a horizontal bobbin. The feed dogs do not drop so I set the stitch length to zero. Don't have a tension problem and it takes any kind of
    thread. I don't get eyelashes with it. But I can tell by the sound of the motor where the "sweet spot" is. Maybe it just takes practice on any machine. I have plenty of vintage machines. I'm going to see how it goes on the 301.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I get my best FMQ on my mechanical plastic 12 year old Costco variety Brother machine with a horizontal bobbin. The feed dogs do not drop so I set the stitch length to zero. Don't have a tension problem and it takes any kind of
    thread... .

That's what I love about my 34 year old mechanical Brother machine---takes any kind of thread, and FMQs like a dream. Of course, I do have an extra bobbin case (vertical bobbin) that I use when I FMQ and I did/do change the tension on it specifically for FMQing with...

I have the Viking Sapphire 870Q .... I don't do a whole lot of FMQ but when I do, I don't have eye lashing on the back .... I don't practice enough and have a hard time keeping consistent stitch length on the front though... not the machines fault

Eyelash is not a problem of horizontal versus vertical. When having eyelash problems, either speed up your machine or slow down your hand movement. Usually fast hand movement is the culprit...if you can't slow that down, press on the pedal more when going around corners.

I have no problems with my Sapphire unless I get to going to fast on the curves with a stipple or meaner. Just try to slow down a little it. I found that if I pull off my shoe on the pedal foot, I seem to go a little slower. Don't ask why, cause I have no idea, but it helps me. You will never regret getting a Viking machine. I promise

FMQ notwithstanding, there is one place a vertical bobbin is easier to deal with:

If you get a rather majestic birds' nest and the machine freezes, most of the time you can get at the threads by pulling out a vertical bobbin, snipping the threads you can reach, then removing the quilt. Drop ins with that kind of snag can be a bear to deal with.

I've used both types and prefer the vertical. The Brother 1500 and the Juki 2010 are both vertical. So is my Pfaff 2170.

In my experience with everything from an old Singer treadle, 80's machine, up to computerized machines..you can easily FMQ on all of them. It's a matter of getting to know your machine, what threads and needles work best, and what speed to go at. Eyelashes are most always caused by upper thread problems..either not put through tensions discs properly, or could be as simple as your machine just doesn't like that thread. On the non computerized machines...moving your hand too fast will cause eyelashes..try slowing down..a lot...see if that helps..if it does, then it's you...you need to find a rythm for that machine..if it doesn't help, then rethread, try again..slowly..if that doesn't help..try an entirely different thread. From all the people that I see, their biggest problem is speed...they watch the videos of the longarmers going 90 miles an hour...you need to slow down,,slow down...slow...till you get the hang of it...then you and your machine can get into a groove. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Used to get eyelashes on my Viking Sapphire 875Q but have learned that if I set the speed control down to the second or third notch from the bottom (on the screen) and move the fabric slowly (you need to test what slowly means to you!) I never get lashes anymore. Knock wood!