Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ with invisible thread? >

FMQ with invisible thread?

FMQ with invisible thread?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Default FMQ with invisible thread?

I am trying to quilt a T-Shirt quilt that has a lot of colors and dark purple and black backing. I do not want to use white, shows any mistakes too easily, and is too light on the dark background. I took out every stitch I did. I would like suggestions on what color thread to use for the quilting. Has anyone used Monopoly polyester invisible thread?
Please help, I would like to get this done. It is for my Granddaughter's boyfriend's Mother. It is a memory quilt of their deceased 10 yr old daughter. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01520.jpg2.jpg   dsc01516.jpg   dsc01508.jpg  
Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I quilt with invisible thread often, love it. I use the invisible thread from Superior Threads in the top, regular thread ( often bottomline) in the bobbin. It works great, holds up well, I’ve quilted many quilts in the past 15 years with invisible thread.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt for the family of the little girl lost... I don't like plastic thread so I would probably quilt it with a light gray color. It seems to work so well over all colors.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Monopoly is the invisible from Superior Threads the CKCowl mentioned. I too have had great luck with it. I mostly use it for ditch work so I have always added additional quilting with other thread (Polyester, cotton, metallic, etc). I have also used it to attach binding all by machine. Works great. Like ckcowl, I use regular thread in the bobbin. Monopoly is a great product so do a little test sandwich, you may need to loosen your tension a bit for it.

Another option if the Monopoly doesn't "play nice" for you is to use a super fine 100 wt thread like Invisifil by Wonderfil threads or Microquilter from Superior. I think a gray or medium purple shade will blend nicely. These superfine threads tend to reflect whatever color they are on and don't show a lot.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Beautiful quilt for the family of the little girl lost... I don't like plastic thread so I would probably quilt it with a light gray color. It seems to work so well over all colors.
Monopoly is a polyester thread. there are thousands of polyester threads on the market, like Glide, Bottom Line, Signature, So Fine, Connecting threads Poly, Isacord and the two 100 wt threads I recommended in my post. It is simply a monofiliment (one strand not spun). It is not plastic and doesn't feel or look at all like the old monofiliments that seemed like fishing line. It is fine as hair, pliable and soft.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanks so much to all of you. I have dreaded quilting this quilt, mostly because of the zebra shorts fabric. When I started FMQ it, my Pfaff Quilt Expression 2.0 started acting up, breaking and shredding threads. I finished a baby quilt before this, having the same problem, I changed the needle 4 x's before I could finish the baby quilt, but it was 100% cotton, unlike the T-shirt quilt. The Pfaff is so finicky, it is ridiculous. I am researching now for a new machine to replace it. If you have any opinions on it, I am down to Janome MC6700P, MC6650, or the Elna Excellence 720Pro or the 730Pro. I uploaded pics of the baby quilt. I appreciate all your help and hope to get this done because of it. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails dsc01495.jpg   dsc01497.jpg  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 PM

I use Superior Monopoly thread for my stitch in the ditch work on my quilts. They have a clear and a little darker monopoly. It is wonderful! A hint I read somewhere - use a black marker and old piece of paper to mark the end of the clear thread, it makes it much easier to thread.