Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Issues---Again >

FMQ Issues---Again

FMQ Issues---Again

Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 AM

Default FMQ Issues---Again

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to search the archives I'm trying to FMQ a full-size quilt in my tiny Costco Brother (barely 6" of harp space!) and I'm wondering why I love quilting!

But it my question is: does anyone know why sometimes my top thread doesn't catch the bobbin thread and I get a huge "jump" when I stitched at least three stitches in that space? It's been happening randomly. I cleaned the bobbin case, rethreaded the machine, changed the needle (size 90/14) and ajusted my tension.

I keep telling myself, one day when I am rich (haha!) I'm going to get a Juki or a Brother with 9" harp space! Anyway, thanks for any advice!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 AM

I can't answer your question as I am horrible at FM quilting & never practice enough. My Magnolia 7330 Janome has a harp space of just barely over 6". As much as I love my machine, I wish I had known more about quilting before I bought this machine. Things like harp space & more decorative stitches would have been something I would have looked closer into. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 AM

If your foot is too far away from the fabric, it will skip stitches. Depending on your machine, there may be a little wheel on your FMQ foot that lowers the foot closer to the fabric to stop this from happening.

Watson
Old 05-16-2017, 06:45 AM

It's because your little brother machine is not strong enough to get through the thicker fabric. My daughter went through the same thing with her little costco machine. I wound up getting her a better stronger model and the problem went away.
At least that's what the ladies at my LQS said.....
Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 AM

I have a Janome Magnolia 7318 that has 6.5" of harp space and I love to FMQ. I've done up to a king size quilt on mine and I'm having a blast with it. How fast are you stitching? Have you tried slowing down the motion of your hands? Also, what kind of thread are you using in the top and in the bobbin?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

There might several things that keep the stitch from forming. It might be speed and moving the quilt or it might be the delay when going through multiple layers. I use a hand needle and matching thread to fix a few skipped stitches. I go through the quilt on both sides of the long stitch making a pretend connection, tie off the thread and bury the ends.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 AM

I worked for what seemed hours one day trying to bird-dog each and every possibility for missed stitches in FMQ. Turns out my needle was slightly bent (no doubt from pushing the weight of the fabric through my then small harp space). Wasn't discernable by the eye, but laying it on a flat surface and examining with magnifier, sure enough - it had a slight bend in it. Went to a bit heftier needle and problem solved. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM

sewing machines were originally made to make straight line stitches. Sometimes when we move the fabric around, the top thread does not catch the bobbin thread. I suggest slowing down your hands a bit while speeding up your stitching a bit. If you can get a consistent speed, that might help also.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM

I can tell you a lot of it is hand spped but it could also be the needle. I dont think its the machine because my cheap brothers never had isdues going through layers. After having practiced fmq for many years now i finally have consistent stitches and it started when i mastered speed control of hand being consistent with the speed of the machine
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and help. It might be my thread. It was some quilting thread I got from hobby lobby about two years ago. What brands do you use for quilting?

I changed the needle up to a 100/16 this morning and it's only happened again twice since then--- so less I guess.

I know my speed is not the problem (this time!) as I'm going pretty slowly and smoothly due to the bulk of the quilt. And I'm trying really hard to making my stitches uniform.

Sephie, thanks for the reassurance that I can quilt on this machine! I'll keep trying. I want to make many full/queen size quilts for each of my kids here soon Oh and one for Hubby and me too.