Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong? >

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

FMQ Issues - What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Please please don't use canned air to clean your machine! First of all, there is a certain amount of moisture which you don't want inside your machine and secondly, it can actually force lint further inside. Use a vacumn instead.
Thanks for the helpful tips. I have been canned air also.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:20 AM

Are you bringing the bobbin thread to the top when starting and ending.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Are you bringing the bobbin thread to the top when starting and ending.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:24 AM

From what I can see of your pic, all of your eyelashes are on curved area...so that tells me you need to slow down! Especially on curves. A lot of people have trouble with the idea of going slower, but remember you will save time when you don't need to rip out stirches and redo areas! Try a practice sandwhich, quilt from fast to slow and see what areas look best...then practice at that speed until it becomes second nature to you! Good luck, and don't give up! You'll get it.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I appreciate all the comments on this topic. I have some of the same problems that have been mentioned when I try to fmq. I have been so frustrated that I have given up. Now I feel like trying it again and trying all the things that have been talked about here. Thanks to everyone for answering and your ideas on the subject they not only help the person that posted the original question but they help many others who are reading the answers.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Not that I do it consistently, but the mantra is: consistent slow hands, fast foot.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 AM

As if you need any more advice...LOL

I have an idea that I didn't see anyone else mention. My one machine doesn't like too many different brands of thread or types of thread for FMQ. Some prefer cotton thread by certain companies and others do better with the poly. So that is another option. It can make a big difference and can be an easy and inexpensive solution. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Two things that cause the most loops are incorrect needle tension, and going too fast or slow for the amount of movement you are making with your quilt. Sometimes the needle just needs to be rethreaded to engage the tension. Also did you remember to lower the presser foot?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Please please don't use canned air to clean your machine! First of all, there is a certain amount of moisture which you don't want inside your machine and secondly, it can actually force lint further inside. Use a vacumn instead.
I AGREE. MY GUY WHO CLEANS MINE TOLD ME THE SAME THING A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO. YOU CAN GET THE CUTEST LITTLE VAC FROM CLOTILDE THAT FITS ON YOUR VAC AND WORKS SLICK AND IS LESS THAN 10.00.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by BarbZ
I AGREE. MY GUY WHO CLEANS MINE TOLD ME THE SAME THING A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO. YOU CAN GET THE CUTEST LITTLE VAC FROM CLOTILDE THAT FITS ON YOUR VAC AND WORKS SLICK AND IS LESS THAN 10.00.
It was suggested to me to USE canned air on my long arm. My tech says that if you keep the can upright and bend the STRAW that comes with it, you get no moisture. That being said, I ONLY use it on my long arm and vacuum my DSMs.