Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ over thread basted quilt >
  • FMQ over thread basted quilt

• FMQ over thread basted quilt

Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
    Power Poster

I use Vanish on the longarm when I want to stabilize a quilt with stitches that I don't want to be permanent. It is a water soluble thread made by Superior Threads and I buy it on a big cone. I can spritz those stitches with water while the quilt is still on the longarm to take them out immediately and reposition the quilt if necessary. However, the thread is not completely gone until I wash the quilt. I've also used another brand (can't remember which) of water soluble thread to stabilize a quilt before quilting on the DSM, but again I washed the quilt when it was finished. I don't think you will be happy with water soluble thread unless you plan to wash the quilt thoroughly when it's done. I have tried to remove basting stitches made with regular thread under other stitches before, and it can be done but it can take a lot of time and I wouldn't intentionally set myself up to do it. I haven't used basting spray and don't know if it needs to be washed out of a quilt. I understand that you sell your quilts, and perhaps non-quilters are happier with one that hasn't been washed, but I personally would prefer to know that the quilt would survive washing without any bleeding or stitches coming out. I think most quilts are prettier after they're washed, but that is a personal preference.
    Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, take the thread out as you move around. You might want to have some safety pins on hand to do a quick temporary baste in some areas as you are pulling out the basting stitches. Don't leave them in and quilt over them.
    Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    There is a lady on you tube sue sch? She show u how to hand baste with boards and thread that you remove as u fmq but doesn't mess up the rest of the quilt. Will be trying it out soon!!
    getting ready to try this - BF just completed my boards. I have already tried her basting method for learning to hand quilt - after several inches easy as pie to keep going.
    Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 AM

I did not know there was such a thing as washable thread or I would have tried it. Since it is already basted, I guess I will go on and quilt and pull a few threads out as I go. Hope this doesn't turn into a frustrating mess. It's a charity quilt for a childrens hospital and I wouldn't want to put any curses (cursing) on it! Wish me luck.
    Thanks for all the tips. My next quilt will be different. Guess this is part of the learning process.