Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ patterns to mimic ocean waves..... >

FMQ patterns to mimic ocean waves.....

FMQ patterns to mimic ocean waves.....

Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Default FMQ patterns to mimic ocean waves.....

I am working on a bargello quilt. it is shades of blues for an "ocean" theme. The pieces are 1,1/2 - 2,1/2" in size. The pattern goes up and down mimicing waves. That is the one side and the other side is an Orca whale (real looking) fabric. It is a twin size quilt.

What is a good FMQ pattern to use for a very beginner with a regular machine? The quilt has to be soft and cuddly... I know I need to do a wide space stitch. I know meandering, but was wondering if there was another pattern that might mimic waves that is easy to learn/do. I am not good at following lines..can't figure that one out, but I 'm not. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Eddie did a quilt called Surf Song and quilted along each color diagonally from corner to corner. Here's a link. It looks great! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...22-t35462.html

Depending on the style of the pattern, you may be able to use a walking foot to do the same type of pattern.

As for FMQ, google clip art of ocean waves and print something out. Or you could freehand some C shaped waves in rows. There are a few ways to handle that once you pick a pattern. You could mark the quilt directly; you could trace it onto Golden Threads paper and follow the lines, quilting right thru the paper or you could trace the design onto Sulky Solvy and quilt directly thru that. I never draw directly on the quilt myself. The only time I did that was to draw the scallops on a border, but I was cutting on the line, not quilting. I'd rather not take the time to remove my markings after.

The Golden Threads paper is great because you can draw it once, stack them up and sew on the lines without thread, then you separate the papers, and quilt each one where you want it. It is translucent, so you can usually see where you are going with the paper on. The only drawback to this is removing the paper after. I still have areas where my stitches are small and it's harder to get the little bits out. So it's quicker up front, but takes a little longer at the end.

Some people use the Glad Press & Seal, but for me, I find it's a pain to move the little bits leftover in the tight areas.

The Sulky Solvy is kind of like glad wrap, only it is water soluble. It's easy to see where you are sewing because it is clear. I draw the designs (need 1 for each block or section), sew thru them, tear off the larger bits and the rest washes out when I wash the quilt after binding. It's more prep work up front, but a breeze at the end.

I draw my designs with Crayola Washable Markers. I use them because I've tried other markers on sample sandwiches and had a hard time removing what transferred onto the thread when I sewed.

I choose my method based on the particular quilt. If I have a lot of repeating blocks, the Golden Threads is easier to get consistent designs done. If I need to be more precise as to where I am stitching, I use the Sulky Solvy and can easily see if I need to adjust a little to get closer to the edges of the pieces, etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

i agree with katier on the press n seal... lots of bits to remove. i really like the way Eddie quilted his bargello. another thought is... do you have the serpentine stitch on your machine... that sort of looks like waves.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 AM

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm
I'm sure you'll find something you like here. All designs come with a tutorial video! You choose your desired level and style etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Eddie did a quilt called Surf Song and quilted along each color diagonally from corner to corner. Here's a link. It looks great! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...22-t35462.html
edges of the pieces, etc.
Thanks katier...interesting. I have used similar colors and the same waves as you did only I made some go up a few squares and then drop down... I used white for the wave "caps". I used 1,1/2 and 2,1/2 strips...so the "squares" are 1 and 2 "...what concerns me is the MANY seams so close together and keeping the quilt soft and cuddley. WHen you said did the "quilted following the curves of the waves"...what do you mean by that...since the "curves" are made with squares. Do you follow the seams? Or do you just do a long straight FMQ stitch in the middle of the squares...along the seams?? long I am VERY new at this bargello style...sorry for so many questions. I have not enjoyed making this one!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm
I'm sure you'll find something you like here. All designs come with a tutorial video! You choose your desired level and style etc.
I have seen this page...but no way could I do this! I dont' have a long arm machine first of all and I have tried so many times to use my regular machine to make these designs...and just on a twin size quilt. No success. Plus..unless I am doing something wrong... when I make these close FMQ patterns... it makes the quilt really stiff and not at all cuddley and usable. I know the batting can accomodate this, so I have been using the 100% cotton and no poly and that helps but not with the small, close pattern stitches. I meander about 1.1/2" stitch separation and the quilt is so nice. Do you have any comments about doing this close FMQ and still getting a soft quilt?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i agree with katier on the press n seal... lots of bits to remove. i really like the way Eddie quilted his bargello. another thought is... do you have the serpentine stitch on your machine... that sort of looks like waves.
I will check on the serpentine.. I have 101 decorative stitches..surely it is there! I'll google what serpentine looks like and then look on my stitch pad. Thanks!