Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FMQ with ruler

FMQ with ruler

Had a demo of HQ Sweet 16 at Vermont Quilt Fest on Sunday. Absolutely love it, but haven't figured out a legal way to acquire the cash to buy one. Anyway, David Taylor (I think) showed me how you can use those acrylic straight or curved rulers against the foot to make nice lines. My question is, could you use those with the FM quilting foot of a regular machine? I have a Janome MC 9000. Don't want to break anything, but thinking it might work. Just had a phone call from a contractor who wants to paint part of our old house, which really needs it, for the exact price quoted as the "show discount price" of the the Sweetie. Maybe I could make a really big quilt with holes for windows to cover house instead? LOL
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

That's a tough call, myself would probably try to find a way to get the machine???? Then I would probably pay for the house paint.

Good luck, delma

Thanks, Delma. I agree, but too much old wood is beginning to show through the peeling paint. Don't want house to fall in on the quilting room.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    I am interested if anyone has the answer to using those rulers with a Bernina 820 as well.

As long as the ruler is thicker than your FMQ foot hops, you should be able to do it. I have been playing around with this for my Brother Innovis machine and it has worked. I'm getting a little more bold with trying this out.
    Arlene

Quote Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
    As long as the ruler is thicker than your FMQ foot hops, you should be able to do it. I have been playing around with this for my Brother Innovis machine and it has worked. I'm getting a little more bold with trying this out.
    I tried it once and scared myself silly. Be VERY careful.

Maybe you could find a used HQ 16 and then buy or have someone make the table for making it a Sweet 16. I'm sure there are some online as so many do trade up.

Maybe you could barter with the painter. A special quilt for part of the price of painting the house.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Love the house quilt idea

Quote Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
    Thank you, Arlene. That's just the answer I was hoping for. It makes sense to me! Gee, I have cousins who live in Stony Brook. Beautiful place. We went over on the ferry and really enjoyed the visit.
    Lynn

I was just wondering about this. My luck I'd quilt over the ruler & destroy everything!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I do a bit of ruler work with my Janome Horizon. The only thing is, I can only use the ruler on the left of the foot because the quilting foot is not symmetrical. If I put the ruler on the right side, the side of the foot is in the way and it makes it hard to judge where the ruler should go. THat said, I have used straight and curved edges and had good results. I've even used the lid of a tin (about 1/4" high) as a ruler
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Thank you, Arlene. That's just the answer I was hoping for. It makes sense to me! Gee, I have cousins who live in Stony Brook. Beautiful place. We went over on the ferry and really enjoyed the visit.
    Lynn
    @ LynnVT Isn't it funny? I feel the same way about Vermont. I guess the mountains are always greener on the other side <>
    Arlene

Banned
    I don't see how you can move the quilt while holding the ruler with the left. Besides if you are using it quilt a straight line, why not just mark it and use the walking foot. Even gentle curves can be quilted with the walking foot. Appears to me to be just awkward.

Blog Entries
    I'm not all that familiar with the Sweet 16 but doesn't the fabric stay still while the needle moves? That way you hold the ruler steady and move the needle along side it. That won't work with a domestic machine because it's the opposite, the fabric moves and the needle stays steady. It's the difference between domestic and mid or long arm.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I've never tried FMQ, but if I ever did, I'd want some kind of guide.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

The house painter contacted you? That doesn't sound good. Just make sure to get references and make sure he is legitimate. Ask about other work he has done in the area.

Blog Entries
    It all depends how much of a lift you have with the FMQ foot (or I'm assuming here, your darning foot). Hand walk your machine through a stitch cycle. If your ruler slides under the foot at any time, it is to thin. But the worse damage you will do is break a needle.
    The quilting foot mechanisms on the quilting machines barely rise during the stitch cycle and the foot, for the most part encases the needle completely.
    If your machine is good then try it. I do it all the time with my Juki and get perfect straight horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Is it still free motion quilting if you use a ruler ???? (kidding, sort of) I have used a thick ruler to guide along in small areas with my Singer 301A in quilting mode (hopping foot, dropped feed dogs) but this angel of machines can slow way down to about three stitches a second so absolute control of where the needle enters the fabric is a given.

The Sweet Sixteen is awesome, the newest model that I tried in March has height adjustment for those of us who sew standing and it has a stitch regulator for anyone with problems coordinating the moving of the fabric with the speed of the machine. Would have to rain money for me to ever buy one, but if it did I would.

Well, I guess I would have to get a few more bids on the house and go with that. It won't be much fun quilting on your Sweet if the sides of your house are falling off. Oh, I hate it when I am so practical.

Paulswalia, no, you move the fabric, and in the demo it was really easy to just move the ruler along with it. Yes, thank you, will check the painter's company out. It's fairly local. Thank you to others for suggestions on the process. Will see what I can do.

I've never tried the ruler for fmq, but I have used templates made of thin cardboard or template plastic. Stuck them down with double-stick tape and stitched around them; lift them up and move to the next spot. It's a little slow, but works well. I like tissue boxes and thin template plastic as they don't damage the needle (or anything else) if I stitch too close.
    Shirley in Arizona

I took a FMQ class and the shop had rulers for this. They were sbout twice the thickness of a regular ruler and had two small knobs for holding them in place. Espdcially good for SID. Worked fine with all the mschines in the class.

Lynn,

I would go for the HQ Sweet Sixteen and paint the house myself! lol

Blog Entries
    I have the sweet 16 and love it, still have not figured out how to hold the ruler and free motion quilt too. Think I just need to practice more. When you can get it I swear you will LOVE it. Its' so easy to use
    Patski
    always learning

Thanks again for suggestions. DH did paint the house last time, but that was some years ago before his quadruple bypass and mini strokes. I plan to do some of the lower stuff, but not the second floor ladder thing. Have been working slowly on a FMQ project, but still haven't found anything to use as a thick ruler with it. I hate the walking foot. Mine keeps sticking or something every few stitches, and I have to flick the little thingy that sticks out on the right. Also it doesn't seem to work right with the batting. Should take Jan to the dealer for help on it, but never get around to it. Oh, well, one keeps going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast