Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ and SITD....Both? >

FMQ and SITD....Both?

FMQ and SITD....Both?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:35 AM

Default FMQ and SITD....Both?

Please take a moment to look at my block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540796[/ATTACH]
If I am going to do a tight, wavy FMQ line in the middle white lines and do ruler work in the outer white lines, do I still need to SITD? Or is that enough? Or would SITD really add another dimension to it?

The batting is an 20/80.

Thanks for all the generous help on this board!

Watson
Attached Thumbnails block_zps8hl8kabx.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 AM

I think that when you SITD the seams are more noticeable. Seams kind of disappear without the SITD. Do you want the seams to show up or not? You have good color definition so seams will show up anyway.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM

I like to do SITD before doing FMQ just to help keep thing stabilized, so if this was my quilt I would probably SITD around the larger blue squares before doing the FMQ.

The FMQ you have planned should be enough quilting alone, though, so it's really up to you! What do YOU prefer?

Beautiful batiks, by the way. I love those colors. It's going to be a lovely quilt when you're done, whichever quilting method you choose.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Sewnoma. SITD stabilizes the layers of the quilt.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Before anything else I think I would SITD down the sashing. It will keep the straight lines straight. FMQ can distort straight lines since the stitching can stretch the fabric on the bias. If stitching down the sashing isn't in your design plans, try using water solvable thread so you can remove it later.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM

These are all the kind of things I need to know! Thanks!

So, can I SITD ALL the sashing, and then go back for the FM filler or is it better to start in the centre and work your way out?

Watson
Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Although it is tempting to SITD starting at a corner, it is still better to start in the middle and stitch out towards the edges. This takes any extra fabric out to the sides rather then trap it in the middle. I would start in the middle of quilt and stitch to a corner, I would then go back to the center point and continue that line out to the other corner. This will give one long diagonal line done. I would flip the quilt over and see if the backing travelled at all. If all looks good, I would continue on. Once all the long lines were done, I would check to make sure the backing is still good. Then I would quilt the shorter side lines being very careful as the sewing lines cross the long lengthwise lines. Those are the spots where if the fabric on the back has travelled, you are going to get pleats. Once all the straight lines are quilted straight, you can quilt whatever you want in the squares.

Or you can forget about keeping the sashing straight and just start working in the middle and quilt your way out to the edges. Completely up to you.

Last edited by Tartan; 01-22-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Thanks, Tartan. That answers my question!

Watson
Old 01-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I don't do a direct STD. I do what I call "On the BAnk and neighbor calls it curbside. Use the seam as a guide about 1/4" away from the seam. Curbside is better term. Then a loose fmq or meander
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM

Just wanted to add that while I think it's slightly better to do all the ditch work first & then go back and FMQ, I have seen award-winning quilters who would SITD entirely around one block & then fill that block in, and repeat all the way out to the edge.

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that one benefit of SITD -- even if just with wash-away thread -- is that the seams don't puff up slightly like a little mini hill. Sometimes for family quilts, I don't mind the hills; they're not very obvious -- esp. to non-quilters & there are only so many hours in the day, but it definitely looks nicer to SITD first.