Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ and Spray basting

Blog Entries
    Has anyone had success in spray basting your quilt and FMQ? Does the spray gum up your needle? Eventually got to get off the floor from pinning quilt sandwich together. Do you have any trouble with pleating on the back with spray basting? When weather permits wouold you take it outside or do you hang it when assembling. Any comments would be appreciated!

Banned
    ho havn't had the problem with needle gumming up
    After I spray baste I press the back with a warm/hot iron to get additional wrinkles out.

Blog Entries
    i spray the center, folding the top out of the way, then folding it back down smoothing as i go. then the top and bottom. then turn over and smooth the backing, lift and spray, smoothing as i go. usually no wrinkles.
    i also use fusible batting if no spray. do the same there, pressing the center and outward. then turn over and smooth the backing and pressing it outward.

I love it.I spray bast all my quilts now,alot easier than pinning

No problem here. I love the spray basting and it has not interfered with the FMQ for me. I go to my sister's house and use the ping-pong table. We cover it with an old sheet and a sheet of plastic and be sure there is good ventilation.

I have had no problems with spray basting, have been using spray for over a year now.

Blog Entries
    I have spray basted but the only area I have that is large enough is on the floor and it kills my knees. I have never had a problem with my needle gumming up. I use a new needle when I start and it lasts until I finish the project.

bkb
    i taped my quilt back to the wall in the hall way spray basted it there smoothed everything out and then used a rolling pin on it worked great!!!

Funny you should ask...

I spray basted a whole slew of quilts a few weeks ago and they've been sitting here waiting for me to get to them ever since.

A couple of nights ago, I got my machine all cleaned and set up for FMQ, did a practice sandwich and it was sewing beautifully. Came up the next morning and started on one of the quilts - no go. Skipping stitches BADLY.

Changed the needle, re-threaded, changed the thread in bobbin and needle, removed the Sew Slip mat, put it back, changed the needle, changed the presser foot, adjusted the pressure up and down - skipped stitches.

But, I kept testing on the practice sandwich and the stitching was beautiful.

The adhesive in the quilt is still very sticky, though.

My last ditch attempt today was to iron the bejeebers out of it, but the adhesive is still very sticky. This prevents the needle from forming a loop for the hook to catch and create a stitch.

Next is to open up the quilt, remove the batting, cut out all the attempted stitching and baste it again. This time with the basting gun.

I took out a quilt with a fusible batt and I've been quilting it, instead. After all the frustration trying to get the sticky one quilted, it's a relief to be actually quilting again.

I'm not sure that I'll EVER use basting spray again. I still have five or six quilts basted with spray - I haven't had the heart to open them up and check them, but I think at least one of them is sticky enough to cause this same problem. :(

I haven't had a problem but I keep having to remind my self to spray lightly. More is not better here.

I always have a problem with wrinkles when I pin. I tried spraying and have done 2 quilts with NO problems. I used the spray very lightly and had no trouble with the needle getting sticky. I even did both before I changed the needle. I also hung the quilts on the wall--no more sore knees or back,
    Sue

No problem of needle gumming up. I just done another yesterday on the kitchen floor with the patio door wide open. The fumes from the spray is what my biggest problem is. The rght brand works very well for me. I like the Sullivans but have poor results with the June Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    I have spray basted but the only area I have that is large enough is on the floor and it kills my knees. I have never had a problem with my needle gumming up. I use a new needle when I start and it lasts until I finish the project.