Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ thread color. >

FMQ thread color.

FMQ thread color.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Some people are telling me to use the same color thread in the top and the bobbin. What if you have a light colored thread but a black quilt bottom. Wont it look funny with the light colored thread showing up on the black material? Shouldn't I use black in the bobbin?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

I have and got some marks where the bobbin was not exactly pulled even and the black thread showed slightly on the top. I have one instance where the back was black and the top thread teal and it showed teal on the back every place I stopped and started. I was able to correct it but it took a while.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM

That is what I was saying. If my quilt back is black and I use white thread in the top and in the bobbin you will only see white thread. I should use black thread in the bobbin, correct?
That is what is confusing me. Some people say use different colors and some people are telling me to use the same color in both.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM

I use what ever color I want. Sometimes I want the quilt design to stand out so I use the top color in both if I use a black backing. I have even been known to use colored thread on white tops and backing. It all depends on the look you want.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM

You can do whatever you want! I often match the bobbin with the back. Sometimes you will see a little poke of the bobbin thread on top. Once it's washed, it is often not noticeable. Do some practice sandwiches with different color fabrics/threads and see what makes you happy.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

why don't you try it out and see if you like it?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM

I used to be 'matchy matchy' with my threads. Now I try to find a color that you can SEE top and bottom. Sometimes I get REALLY brave and use something that will POP< but be aware you will see EVERY BOBBLE! (ask me how I know!). I like to see the quilting, but prefer to let the piecing take the front seat. Right now I have a purple quilt on the frame and I'm quilting in a soft green. If you match the thread, it will disappear. Your call...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

if you use black in the bobbin and white in the top you (might) get little white dots on the back- and black dots on the top---
if your tension is PERFECT this shouldn't happen- but ...
but that is why people say to use the same- just to avoid that possible problem- it is not always a problem= and many of us use different threads in the top & bottom all the time- it is just easier to have the correct tension when everyting is the same-
your best bet is to make a little sandwich- same fabric-same batting and do some practice quilting- if it works great- if not you can fiddle with it before working on the actual quilt
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you use black in the bobbin and white in the top you (might) get little white dots on the back- and black dots on the top---
if your tension is PERFECT this shouldn't happen- but ...
but that is why people say to use the same- just to avoid that possible problem- it is not always a problem= and many of us use different threads in the top & bottom all the time- it is just easier to have the correct tension when everyting is the same-
your best bet is to make a little sandwich- same fabric-same batting and do some practice quilting- if it works great- if not you can fiddle with it before working on the actual quilt
Thank you so much. Everything seems to be coming back to the tension issue. I will just keep working on it until I find the best fit.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Once the quilt is laundered and it's get a little 'puckery' you won't see the dots.
You could match the back and use invisible thread on the top.