Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ tips needed >

FMQ tips needed

FMQ tips needed

Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Joe

Default FMQ tips needed

Just got a feed dog cover and a FMQ presser foot and am going to start experimenting with FMQ and am looking for some tips, links, tutorials etc that have helped you. I assume presser foot pressure is important, and thread tension. I am using an older singer 457 Stylist. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Check out Angela Walters’ quilt along videos on YouTube. Also Christina Cameli. And of course practice, practice, practice. I thought I’d never get it but then it just kind of clicked and I’ve been really pleased with my quilting. I feel like I’ve taken suggestions from a lot of quilters and kind of developed my own style. Most important, I try not to be too critical about my work or compare it with the experts.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

You might enjoy watching some of Tim Latimers FMQ YouTube videos. Leah Day has many videos also. Make up some practice sandwiches and try.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:48 AM

I’m a beginner too. I find wearing quilter’s gloves help me control the fabric.
Bought the cheapest pair I could find on EBay and they’re still going strong. I often wear one on my left hand when I’m machine sewing the binding - it seems to give me a bit more ‘hold’.

Last edited by Moira in N.E. England; 02-23-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:26 AM

Before you do any sewing practice, draw the design over and over on paper or use a small whiteboard that can be erased. This will give you muscle and 'eye' memory. My friends laugh at me when we are out, I'm always doodling on the paper napkins!!

Use your practice pieces for small projects; zippy pouches, notebook covers, prem quilts,table mats etc. you'll find that you practice more when you feel the fabric is actually being 'used'.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:53 AM
Joe

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Before you do any sewing practice, draw the design over and over on paper or use a small whiteboard that can be erased. This will give you muscle and 'eye' memory. My friends laugh at me when we are out, I'm always doodling on the paper napkins!!

Use your practice pieces for small projects; zippy pouches, notebook covers, prem quilts,table mats etc. you'll find that you practice more when you feel the fabric is actually being 'used'.
That's a good idea I was going to just use some throw away sandwiches but maybe I'll make potholders or something.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 AM
Joe

Thanks for all the tips everybody!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 AM
Joe

I usually use Coats and Clark cotton thread for all my quilts, do you think this will be fine for FMQ?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I suggest Leah Day first. She is slow and methodical. I learned a lot from her. Now that I am further along, I love Angela Walters but she goes a little fast on the FMQ.

You can give the Coats and Clark a try and see if you like the way it works. I use all kinds of threads on my machine- even serger cones. It is a Brother PQ1500, straight stitch. Leah Day uses Isacord polyester for all her FMQ. I don't think there is one right way for everyone. Just start doing it on a practice piece and see how it goes. it does take a fair amount of practice. None of my machines has ever had a tension issue.

I am one that doodling or muscle memory has not worked. I can do a FMQ motif after a lot of sewing practice better than if I drew it out a thousand times. One is moving the pen and one is moving the fabric. You may like this practice but if you don't, you aren't alone.

I've tried all kinds of gloves, rings, pads, etc and it always comes back to Machingers for me. There are some knock off brands on eBay that work well too at a fraction of the price.

I have given up on sliders. I don't think they add much for me. My machine is set into a small table with an ironing board behind it, level, and a table on the left, level, to support the quilt.

Try your machine with and without the feed dog cover. When I used a machine that didn't drop feed dogs, and I had no cover, I just set the stitch length to zero and had good success. Sometimes I forget to drop the feed dogs on my machine now, and don't see a difference. I like a top stitch needle. You may have to play around with different needles.

Just remember to relax, try different threads, gloves, etc. There is not just one right way. The best way is the one that works for you. And practice, practice, practice. And then practice more!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Joe

Thanks! Do you need to worry about a set stitch at the beginning or end? I guess just tie it off with a hand stitch?