Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ uneven stitch length >

FMQ uneven stitch length

FMQ uneven stitch length

Old 10-02-2018, 11:58 AM

What I have found valuable is to find the "perfect" speed of hand and foot pedal that works for you and then set my foot pedal to that speed, if you have that feature on your machine.
That way I can put my foot all the way down and just concentrate on my hands and I know the speed isn't going to vary and suddenly zoom away from me, but I can always let up and go slower.

Watson
Old 10-05-2018, 02:44 PM

the quilt cannot hang or drag think about getting more support on the quilt so there is no drag
Old 10-05-2018, 04:17 PM

I teach fmq on a domestic.... here's what l find helps. On a fresh practice sandwich, put on your walking foot, ( feed dogs up), set the stitch length to 10 st./ in. ( arond " 2.5 to 3 on digital), and sew a winding lazy s path, going a " mediun" speed.Listen & pay attention while sewing this. Listen for the tempo of the machine .Drop dogs, put on quilting foot, and go 1/4" next to your previous path doing fmq...trying your best to get the same foot pressure and tempo of sound while moving sandwich at as close a rate as you just saw walking foot do. Compare. I'll bet you just did a whole lot better. Traing wheels, lol...do this every day before your quilting session on a real project. For some, putting on soft listening music, or humming " the skaters' walz, eg.helps.You WILL improve vastly after a week of daily practice like this!