Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Folded Corner Clipper ruler

Folded Corner Clipper ruler

I was sorting through my rulers and found this one. I don't remember using it so I thought I'd try it out. Wow. This is wonderful for HSTs. I put two 2 1/2" squares together, put the ruler on it made one cut. I had a perfect 2 1/2" Hst and one 2" hst. No lines to draw, no 7/8" added. Works to add corner to square to make square in a square perfectly. It's simple and inexpensive compared to a lot of the other speciality rulers. I'm keeping this little jewel out of the drawer.

I love my life!

Blog Entries
    you cut it with the triangles folded together right? Eleanor Burns always did that. for some reason i press them first so cut and flip and cut again. oh well.

No I put the ruler on the bottom and side of the two squares together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD3AKiSyPw
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    I never saw that ruler before.....neat

Sounds like a good one to have.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    ah. I will just use my regular ruler. fast enough for me.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hmmm--think someone just gave me that one with a bundle of rulers she found at a thrift shop--I'll have to check it out.

That one looks like a winner. My HSTs are okay, but my snowballs get off track too easily.

Thank you for posting that. I have the ruler and have never used it. Now I can.

I have this ruler I bought for a class a few years ago. I remember we made flying geese using it. It was my first time making a whole flying geese quilt and all my geese were perfect. I never thought about using it for HST or other shapes, it's always been my flying geese ruler. LOL It now has prime real estate on my peg board.

Onebyone, this is very timely. We've just remodeled a room in our new home for my sewing room. After a very fast and unexpected work relocation across the country, my sewing room was the last to get unpacked. It's been over a year since I've seen some of my stuff. I have that exact ruler - still in the packaging just like your picture above. I wondered, "Hmm, wonder where I got this and what it does." I then put it in its place. I have not thought about it I found it last week. Thanks for the post and the youtube video. I can't wait to use it!
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan

A fat quarter is not a body part!

I just bought this ruler after seeing it at a quilt retreat demo a couple of weeks ago. I've left it out of my ruler rack so that I'll be sure to use it.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I remember buying one of those.....wonder where it is???

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting about this!

I have this from 2 different places--one is Fons & Porter and the one you have. Love them--especially on points to match them up without that dog eared business to cut off. I also use it to cut across binding strips before sewing them together. Wouldn't be without it.
    Last edited by MarleneC; 08-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.

I also use it to cut across binding strips before sewing them together. Wouldn't be without it.
    I used it today to join binding strips. What a time saver.
    I love my life!

I went straight to Amazon and purchased the ruler...the video is great...and I found another video showing 2 rulers, one being the EZ Angle that Bonnie Hunter uses so often (and it's use keeps escaping me) and the other this corner clipper...good video showing how to use both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FtVsfNUKg

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    No I put the ruler on the bottom and side of the two squares together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD3AKiSyPw
    Really neat! Definitely marked this for future reference.

To join binding using this ruler watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16N0SUFlV-k
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    I have always hated doing half square triangles. I would avoid them at all cost. Mine never turned out quite right. Then I saw a demo for this ruler. I didn't buy it then because I thought the price was just too much. I thought about this ruler for several weeks. I watched all the demos on line and really liked them. Jackpot---I finally found the ruler on line---the price was the same as the one I'd seen. I should have saved myself a lot of grief by getting the first one I saw. The good news is I LOVE IT. I found it very easy and accurate. Winner, winner chicken dinner. It certainly has my vote for "Worth it".

Oh I love little gadgets and these kind of rulers qualify for my gadget needs! I shall be on the look out. I have a ton of rulers I have never used , this inspires me to try a few of them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    I went straight to Amazon and purchased the ruler...the video is great...and I found another video showing 2 rulers, one being the EZ Angle that Bonnie Hunter uses so often (and it's use keeps escaping me) and the other this corner clipper...good video showing how to use both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FtVsfNUKg
    Thanks for this link. I have the EZ Angle ruler but haven't used it and now I see how helpful it can be for snowball blocks! I tend to use them a lot as filler blocks.