Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Folded Corner quilt block - help with design ideas

Folded Corner quilt block - help with design ideas

Name:  b251d952a033b9256f9707c1956093ac.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  97.0 KB
    I want to make a quilt using the Folded Corners quilt block. I bought the Wilmington Essentials Soda Pop fabric, and have three shades in Purple, Green, Red and Blue. (light med and dark of each). I don't like the simple layout of this quilt and haven't found any patterns of other layouts. I don't want to set it on point, as it changes the look of the block. I have been playing in EQ8 for the last 2 days with no success. I need some inspiration or help. A good connector block, or special sashing was my plan. I have searched Bing, Google, Pinterest with no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would just do a simple sashing; no cornerstones....
    That block is so symmetrical that there really isn't much you can do with it.
    Sometimes, plain and simple is best. =)

Or maybe put a border around it after doing simple sashing and put cornerstones in just the corners....
    Kind of like this....
    Name:  Make-Borders-with-Cornerstones-577bdb485f9b585875950524.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  35.3 KB

I drew your block in a 12 inch version and used a large flowered print for the centers of the block, then used the same print as the single border. I also added a 2 inch sashing and picked up a color from the print as the sashing color and used blue cornerstones in the sashing and a blue binding. The blue could be a black and it would still add that contrast that your quilt needs.

Edited to add: Oops! I alternated the fussy cut centers of this picture. Oh well, I hope you can see my vision even if it isn't perfect. "smile"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-13-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Connecting Threads had this in their catalogue a couple of months ago. I love the sashing. I think it really adds to the design.
    https://www.connectingthreads.com/po...lt-kit/p/92809
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I like the one Barb did above.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

This block is reminiscent of " hole in the barn door". That would make an excellent alternate block...change the center to a light square, and leave off the points at N S E & W.

Well, after I reread the opening comments, I realized that I was missing a lot of color in the blocks. Not knowing the true colors, I went for the lt, med and dark of the colors mentioned and recolored my blocks. I, also, deleted the border and changed the sashing to a black to help set off the colors. The binding is black too. What do you think of this version?

Edited to add: I left the blocks as 12 inch blocks and the sashing as 2 inches.
    Second edit: And then I thought, what if I made the sashing the same as the background color and just colored the binding and the cornerstones black? Isn't the difference fun?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-13-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    ever since Bonnie Hunter's mystery using this block, I've wanted to make something using it. These ideas are both good. thanks for taking the time to do that.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

It is truly amazing the effects of sashings and cornerstone have on quilt squares! Lots to consider in planning a quilt.

Barb is so talented! I love her last version with the white sashing. Opens up the design and lets the blocks breathe!

Is this pattern available? I can only find it as a kit. You are all so efficient on the computer than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    ever since Bonnie Hunter's mystery using this block, I've wanted to make something using it. These ideas are both good. thanks for taking the time to do that.
    I knew I had seen it before but couldn't remember where. Celtic Mystery did turn out to be a very pretty quilt using the alternating blocks.

I like the first one. It's sedate and soothing. I usually don't do sedate and soothing, though. My favorite layout is the one at Connecting Threads. It really pops the colors. Then, my next favorite is the one that's sashed in all black.

I think it looses it's continuity with too many non-related colors. When I look at the white sashing with black cornerstones, all I see is the cornerstones.

Everyone has different tastes, so choose what looks good to you.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    Is this pattern available? I can only find it as a kit. You are all so efficient on the computer than I am.
    I Googled Folded Corner quilt block pattern and found it. https://www.patchworksquare.com/inde...ock&links=&id=

Edited to add: This link will take you straight to the PDF for the block. https://www.patchworksquare.com/mf/f...uilt-block.pdf
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-14-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I like the first one. It's sedate and soothing. I usually don't do sedate and soothing, though. My favorite layout is the one at Connecting Threads. It really pops the colors. Then, my next favorite is the one that's sashed in all black.

I think it looses it's continuity with too many non-related colors. When I look at the white sashing with black cornerstones, all I see is the cornerstones.

Everyone has different tastes, so choose what looks good to you.

bkay
    That's what I love about quilting. It's all about what you end up liking. Often, the final color choices in the blocks will change what I thought I wanted to do originally with sashing and borders.

I borrowed Barb's pic to show my idea. I don't have anything to draw it out perfectly like hers. I would make my sashing the same width as the 9 patch square (4 inches) and alternate square in square w/ the hourglass block to make the sashing like this (the is a bit skewed since the sashing in this image was narrow but you get the idea.

Name:  a1a.BMP
Views: 726
Size:  594.2 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I love all these renditions! Especially the one with the large flowered border. You all are so talented!

I wonder if every other block could be something else....
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Attachment 611595

Attachment 611597

These are the two options I have to decide between. I wanted a connector or alternate block of some kind. I liked the simple cornerstone sashing. It does look good with the folded corners block. I was trying for something more elaborate, but sometimes, simpler is better. I really like the sashing on the Connecting Threads version and may change to that idea on the first quilt. Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by TAMARATJO View Post
    Attachment 611595

Attachment 611597

These are the two options I have to decide between. I wanted a connector or alternate block of some kind. I liked the simple cornerstone sashing. It does look good with the folded corners block. I was trying for something more elaborate, but sometimes, simpler is better. I really like the sashing on the Connecting Threads version and may change to that idea on the first quilt. Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions.
    Can't see your attachments.

I will try to attach the EQ versions of my quilt designs again. I saved them as JPEGs, so not sure what the problem Name:  Folded corner 1.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  86.1 KBis.Name:  Folded Corner 2.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  92.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Oh I fell for the first choice, but the second is good too!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-15-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I Googled Folded Corner quilt block pattern and found it. https://www.patchworksquare.com/inde...ock&links=&id=

Edited to add: This link will take you straight to the PDF for the block. https://www.patchworksquare.com/mf/f...uilt-block.pdf
    Thanks for finding the pattern and, better yet, it is free.

Tamaratjo, I like both of your EQ layouts. The second is more traditional looking to me...the connecting chains that will form with the sashing are right up my ally!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast