Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
folding and cutting a large piece of fabric >

folding and cutting a large piece of fabric

folding and cutting a large piece of fabric

Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks for asking the question. I was in the same situation. Have been putting off "cutting" the back so now I'll "tear." Thanks to all that answered. I just love this board. Such knowledgeable people and always willing to share. Thank you all.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Can I have your comments on what a friend has said to me today? I was telling her how pleased I was with the advice I received here about tearing fabric, as it solved my problem so easily - and she said she was told not to tear because it warps the fabric and because (I think) the pattern is often not directly lined up with the grain of the fabric, so it won't tear exactly along the line of the pattern (but surely that would affect cutting too, as it would mean the pattern wasn't straight on the fabric? I don't really see what she means there).
The tear v. cut debate is a giant can of worms. There are diehard believers on both sides. It's what you prefer.

Fans of cutting prefer not to have to worry about the fabric ends "warping", which can happen with an inexperienced ripper or lower quality fabric.

Fans of ripping prefer accuracy, and are prepared to accept having to trim a few strings sometimes.

Ensuring the print is straight is a separate process, but you'll know for sure if it's wonky as soon as you or the sales person rips it.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Measure off about 80 inches along the selvedge and snip it and tear it. Yes you'll get strings and fraying but it will be straight and on grain. Do the same for the other direction and give yourself about 6 inches extra.
This is the method I use when using a large piece of backing fabric. It's easy, removes the stress of having to cut a long, straight edge and has always worked for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
I went to Paducah once for the quilt show. Shopped at the Quilt in a Day tent. They tore the fabric and gave a little extra to make up for it. Would be a good workout if you had to tear fabric all day.

When I was a kid, not only did we tear fabric, we also used razor blades instead of seam rippers. Never owned a seam ripper until I was an adult.
I used a razor up to the time went to high school and they required a seam ripper.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by annesthreads
Can I have your comments on what a friend has said to me today? I was telling her how pleased I was with the advice I received here about tearing fabric, as it solved my problem so easily - and she said she was told not to tear because it warps the fabric and because (I think) the pattern is often not directly lined up with the grain of the fabric, so it won't tear exactly along the line of the pattern (but surely that would affect cutting too, as it would mean the pattern wasn't straight on the fabric? I don't really see what she means there).
The tear v. cut debate is a giant can of worms. There are diehard believers on both sides. It's what you prefer.

Fans of cutting prefer not to have to worry about the fabric ends "warping", which can happen with an inexperienced ripper or lower quality fabric.

Fans of ripping prefer accuracy, and are prepared to accept having to trim a few strings sometimes.

Ensuring the print is straight is a separate process, but you'll know for sure if it's wonky as soon as you or the sales person rips it.
:-P I have pulled, cut and tore. I much prefer to tear. If my fabric is solid there is no problem. If a print then you have to do what you think is best. The only time I have run into a problem is when the fabric has lines. Sometimes you just have to tug and pull on the fabric to make it straight. Bottom line whatever works for you. BrendaK
Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Could someone please explain the "thread-pulling" method?
I have never seen that done, but have only been quilting a few years. I will try tearing the backing for my next quilts, but have a question--that will only work if the fabric you have is larger than what you ultimately need for the backing, right? If you have to do any piecing to make the backing large enough, would you still tear the edges?
Looking forward to the answers.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM

That makes my life easier. I hated working with large pieces of fabric. And although I am a proponent of tearing, I just never thought of it. Thanks.

A question, on that piece of fabric 80 X 108, does the tearing have to be from selvedge to selvedge or could you tear the other way. I would have used the 80" for my length and torn across for my width, making only one tear and saving fabric. Would that have been wrong?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 AM

For Grambi

Thread pulling: pull one thread out the width of the fabric and then you use that line (space) for your cutting line. That insures you are cutting on grain.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel

A question, on that piece of fabric 80 X 108, does the tearing have to be from selvedge to selvedge or could you tear the other way. I would have used the 80" for my length and torn across for my width, making only one tear and saving fabric. Would that have been wrong?
It was my fabric that the advice was for, and tI did exactly as you say! I wasn't sure it would work, because I was tearing against the grain, so I started very slowly and gently, but it was fine.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Thank goodness I'm not the only relic that believes in tearing. :-)
I tear too!
...and sometimes when I do the fact that the print of the fabric is subtly off-grain becomes apparent-