Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Folding your quilts

Folding your quilts

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but do any of you worry about folding your quilts? How do you store them? I tried to look for this in other threads but had no luck, so I'm sorry if it's been asked before. As with other things, I fold my quilt in half, then in half again, but I worry that in time the batting inside will shift and there will be a permanent fold mark in my quilt. Is that the case? I've only ever done one quilt so far, so this is a new journey for me.

Blog Entries
    You need to refold your stored quilts frequently to avoid what you are afraid of. You need to change the way they are folded when you are refolding. If you refold them on a schedule you will be able enjoy them regularly.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I will re-fold mine in a different way every once in a while. Some people roll theirs around large round foam pieces.

If you Google how to fold a quilt there is many sites to show how to fold a quilt There is a certain way to avoid damage

Blog Entries
    I have a twin bed in a spare bedroom that I call my "Princess and the Pea" bed, because I have all my quilts layered on the bed. Then occasionally I shift the top one down and display a different one. The only time they get folded is if someone comes to sleep in the bed, then I take them off and set them aside. It also reminds me of going shopping for an Oriental rug, where that have a mountain of rugs stacked and you fold them back to look at each one. Friends always joke about my display and ask to see any additions.

Power Poster
    For permanent storage, I picked up an empty cardboard carpet tube for storing my quilts. I made a muslin sleeve to fit it after cutting it to fit standing upright in my spare closet. I roll my quilts up on it and wrap the roll in a clean sheet. I big elastic at each end to make a giant tootsie roll and into the closet it goes.
    For everyday storage, I fold up my quilt with a pool noodle in the creases or sometimes I later them on the spare bed.

Blog Entries
    Me too. But I do have some folded in the living room for daily use.
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    I have a twin bed in a spare bedroom that I call my "Princess and the Pea" bed, because I have all my quilts layered on the bed. Then occasionally I shift the top one down and display a different one. The only time they get folded is if someone comes to sleep in the bed, then I take them off and set them aside. It also reminds me of going shopping for an Oriental rug, where that have a mountain of rugs stacked and you fold them back to look at each one. Friends always joke about my display and ask to see any additions.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't worry about it because all of my quilts get drug around and used all the time. One goes in the closet for a bit and another one comes out.

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

one of my guild quilters gave us this advice----lay your quilt on a bed face up-take one corner and throw it in to the middle--pick up random'stick out'bits and throw them into the center do this until it is down to the size you need for storage---she said you will never do it exactly the same ever thus no permenant crease forms

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I just roll my quilts. I don't buy anything to roll them around. I just roll each one separately around themselves.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"