Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Follow the pattern or make your own design?  which are you? >

Follow the pattern or make your own design? which are you?

Follow the pattern or make your own design? which are you?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM

I started out with very traditional quilting, evolved to my own designs, and now combine them...

My quilts take on a life of their own and develop their own character, so none of them follow the rules. Guess I'm a quilt anarchist at heart. :!:
Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

I begin with a pattern usually, but......like Moonpi, it takes on a life of it's own. When I stick it up on the wall to try to "SEE" it and play out the layout it just kinda talks to me and says which way it wants to look.

I'm not good at sticking to the design, the directions are usually hard to follow or lacking in a minute thingamabob to finish exactly like the pattern shows. So, I'll do the cutting like the list, the follow the "picture" look if I'm determined to have a block or quilt exactly like the person designed it.

But of all things, the fabrics I choose and place often talk the design to me, doesn't it to you??

Sharon
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 AM

I can't recall ever following a pattern. I study how a technique is done, Ex:
applique. I study the different ways it can be done, then I go from there. I get an idea then run with it and create as I go. I like to create a picture, thats why I love applique. After I create the picture I want I go from there.I also will see different quilts and get ideas from them. I play in my own yard, But I love to share.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Making the quilt unique is part of why we quilt. An artist gets inspiration, then uses whatever medium (s)he likes. For us it's fabric. I love to browse through books, paw through my stash and tubs of scraps, let it stew in my mind, then walla!! it turns into a one-of-a kind beautiful expression! Sure we use basic patterns and templates, but making it unique is why quilting is so satisfying. For me, when I isn't going like I'd planned, I shelf it for a while, then when I return a month or two (or more?) later, it comes together with a few changes. Don't most of you have more than one project going at once? S.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM

I have MANY going on at once! LOL And I will stop working on one thing and jump right into something else if the mood strikes me!

Like today, for example....was working on a block swap cutting pieces for that and stopped and decided to make and cut out the templates for Tim's block so that is what I am working on right now.....BUT....found a pattern for an appliqued basket of flowers in a magazine and now I can't wait to cut that out! Go figure! LOL
Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 PM

I never follow the pattern... but not necessarily on purpose :shock:
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM

In my mind, today, I had what I wanted to do with my DD's old pants I bought at a yard sale....
The jeans were LEVI's...
ORIGINALLY....when I got the jeans...I thought I would make some "patches" with my machine for the knees................
BUT.
some creative bug bit my butt today...and I got destructive for a while.
I cut and sewed..and cut...and embroidered...and sewed..and cut......and washed......and I will post a pic later.
My point is that I started out with a pair of kneeless yard sale jeans with embroidered knees in mind.....Then, that turned into a denim skirt.......where I thought would be a skort..(with the shorts underneath).......THen I went with the idea that it would not need the short part underneat bc it was way longer than first imagined..........and after I embroidered a bunch, it was too far down to cut it off to length to need the shorts..........so......i had to add the animal print to get the skirt to flare enough and add room to move the legs.........and then I wanted to add some fabric to the bottom in a ruffle....but IF that happened...it would be way too long for DD......and so I ended up having her try it on after she got up from one of her RARE naps....and decided it needed frayed hem........
Well...it didn't get any fabric ruffles, but it did get the frayed hem.....she loved it.
Just out of curiosity, I asked hubby what he thought it would bring in a store..........(not the dollar store...or WM...)...and he said $20......for a man with no fabric/fashion background...I guess he is learning..................lol!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:23 PM

I mix it up but rarely follow a pattern exactly. They are a springboard for ideas but I always manage to make some changes. I mostly just create my own ideas. That is the most fun, right. :lol: