Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Fons and Porter response re:kits

  1. #1
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    Now I cannot find the post about their lack of patterns in the "kits"!!!!
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, as I posted there, and checked my topics, etc, but could not find it.

    Here is their answer:
    "Thank you for your email. We do understand your frustration and have made some changes in the recent months to correct this issue. We do now include patterns with all the newer kits as they are being sent. Retroactively, we are able to include copies of the patterns with the older kits also. When you place an order, just let us know that you would like a copy of the pattern, as we don't like to assume that everyone does not have the magazine. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate the information that you have provided."

    So you have to ask, and I think they should put that in the description, but???

  2. #2
    QazyQltr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    518
    Well I will think twice before ordering from them. I agree that you shouldn't have to ask for the pattern! :-(

  3. #3
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,512
    Just playing devil's advocate here, and not saying it's right to sell a kit without a pattern, but I guess the business model of the F & P kits was AT ONE TIME aimed at subscribers of the magazine. So if there was a pattern in a magazine that you liked, you could go the the back of the magazine and then get the kit. This assumes you had the magazine.

    But times have changed - electronic commerce and all, and now you can buy the kit even if you had not seen the pattern in a magazine that you owned.

    Thank you for contacting F & P.

  4. #4
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    If it were me and I orderd a kit I would assume it had all the fabric and directions neccessary to complete. Most kits will tell you if the backing is not included , so why would they think that telling you the pattern was not inculded when you order is so trivial as to not to inform.
    Even if they did assume you purchased the magazine, some do not get to making the kit for ... years and the magazine would likely have been lost , discarded etc.

  5. #5
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,468
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Now I cannot find the post about their lack of patterns in the "kits"!!!!
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, as I posted there, and checked my topics, etc, but could not find it.

    Here is their answer:
    "Thank you for your email. We do understand your frustration and have made some changes in the recent months to correct this issue. We do now include patterns with all the newer kits as they are being sent. Retroactively, we are able to include copies of the patterns with the older kits also. When you place an order, just let us know that you would like a copy of the pattern, as we don't like to assume that everyone does not have the magazine. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate the information that you have provided."

    So you have to ask, and I think they should put that in the description, but???
    Just another reason why I don't like F&P. Too expensive being the #1 reason. They are rich enough, they don't need my money.

  6. #6
    Super Member Bonbonary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,312
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm amazed that they do not include pattern with the fabric. I never buy their magazine because it comes wrapped up and you can't browse through the issues.

  7. #7
    Super Member Quiltbeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,197
    I used to love Fons & Porter but over the last several years they've seemed to shift from 'love of quilting' to 'love of money'.

  8. #8
    joan_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Close to Breezewood, PA
    Posts
    398
    I canceled my subscription with them over a year ago. I feel like they changed and it wasn't for the best. I liked some of their patterns, but many were not my taste at all. I think the money has done something to them! LOL Or, maybe, it is the publishers and agents getting very greedy by using their names.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
    I used to love Fons & Porter but over the last several years they've seemed to shift from 'love of quilting' to 'love of money'.
    ditto - did not renew subscription

  10. #10
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,080
    Their response is ridiculous. I never bye their stuff anyway, but for sure wont now. Sorry you've had so much trouble.

  11. #11
    Senior Member crashnquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Posts
    607
    I just checked their website and even their new kits DO NOT include the pattern. They still reference what magazine the pattern can be found.

    I do have to agree, the magazine has taken a turn and I really don't care for the direction it is going.

    Maybe it's just me, but it seems that when Liz stepped away things became out of control. Just not the quality it used to be.

  12. #12
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    Maybe she stepped away because the money had become the whole motivation? That bottom line, you know!
    I did not see the information either that the pattern was included, but only looked at about 20 kits....

  13. #13
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well... unless you are a member of this board and have read this message? How many other quilter's would know to "ask" for the pattern too?
    Not a very good business practice, and it could end up biting them in the butt!

  14. #14
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    Won't be buying from them any more.

  15. #15
    Dianne1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Clanton,Alabama
    Posts
    942
    Seems like all the magazine carries are patterns that need Their fabric--Kits without patterns, not what it used to be. I can get free catalogs from Clotilde and not have to pay for a subsciption for one.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    128
    I used to love their show, lately however during every show Maryanne discourages viewers from writing down measurements and directions for the quilts saying "don't bother to write down the instructions. Just go to the website and we'll let you know in which issue of the magazine they can be found." Maybe it's just me, but it's less trouble to write instructions than to go hunting for a certain issue of a magazine. Things started to change when they teamed up with QNN. :x

  17. #17
    Super Member klgreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clovis, NM
    Posts
    2,494
    I thought that was why you bought a kit, it included everything from pattern to material. Possibly not the backing, but I would expect the pattern.

  18. #18
    Jim
    Jim is offline
    Super Member Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bardstown, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,241
    Seems they have followed suit along with the rest of the big companies..all ruled by GREED

  19. #19
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    The very word "kit" seems to indicate complete materials, as one dictionary definition is "a packaged SET"--no, I am sure none of use expect batting and backing, but really, this is ridiculous!. They sure lost me.

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,216
    They certainly aren't the only ones selling kits without the patterns. I have bought several PP kits where the pattern was separate, and I agree that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Some of my LQs's have also been guilty of this practice on occasion.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by QazyQltr
    Well I will think twice before ordering from them. I agree that you shouldn't have to ask for the pattern! :-(
    I would think twice also. Even if I did suscribe to their magazine,maybe it got torn up or lost. I think it's natural to assume that a pattern would come with the kit.It is not a very good way to treat your customers,since those kits cost a little on the high end.

  22. #22
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    The very word "kit" seems to indicate complete materials, as one dictionary definition is "a packaged SET"--no, I am sure none of use expect batting and backing, but really, this is ridiculous!. They sure lost me.
    Ditto.

  23. #23
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ctquilter
    I used to love their show, lately however during every show Maryanne discourages viewers from writing down measurements and directions for the quilts saying "don't bother to write down the instructions. Just go to the website and we'll let you know in which issue of the magazine they can be found." Maybe it's just me, but it's less trouble to write instructions than to go hunting for a certain issue of a magazine. Things started to change when they teamed up with QNN. :x
    I won't buy from them either. But ctquilter's comment says it all. I don't understand why everyone on TV assumes everyone has a computer! Yes, we do -- but I know a # of people that live out where they can't get reception without paying $$$$ they can't afford. Or their reception is very very very slow. I hate it when I see newspeople saying something happened...and for us to go online to find out more!!!!! What if you don't have ONLINE! And companies that have you go online to buy!!!! What about people that don't have ONLINE!!!! The same with F&P show -- go online --- what if you don't have ONLINE!!!!!! They're sure cutting out a lotta people. Oh -- they'll say "go to the library"....last time I was in our library there was a line of people waiting to get to the computer. I'm sure they'd love it if I went online to browse looking at patterns!!!!!

  24. #24
    Super Member Connie in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canon City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,438
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have bought their glue sticks.If you don't use it up at once it turns to muck.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Quote Originally Posted by ctquilter
    I used to love their show, lately however during every show Maryanne discourages viewers from writing down measurements and directions for the quilts saying "don't bother to write down the instructions. Just go to the website and we'll let you know in which issue of the magazine they can be found." Maybe it's just me, but it's less trouble to write instructions than to go hunting for a certain issue of a magazine. Things started to change when they teamed up with QNN. :x
    I won't buy from them either. But ctquilter's comment says it all. I don't understand why everyone on TV assumes everyone has a computer! Yes, we do -- but I know a # of people that live out where they can't get reception without paying $$$$ they can't afford. Or their reception is very very very slow. I hate it when I see newspeople saying something happened...and for us to go online to find out more!!!!! What if you don't have ONLINE! And companies that have you go online to buy!!!! What about people that don't have ONLINE!!!! The same with F&P show -- go online --- what if you don't have ONLINE!!!!!! They're sure cutting out a lotta people. Oh -- they'll say "go to the library"....last time I was in our library there was a line of people waiting to get to the computer. I'm sure they'd love it if I went online to browse looking at patterns!!!!!
    It would be great if everyone in the world had a computer and printer the way some companies think ,but not everyone can.The worst insult is when you tell a customer service person that after they tell you to"go online", they act like you're not serious when you say you don't have a computer. It took me 2 years to save the money to buy me and my granddaughter each a computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.