Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Default Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

I was just looking at the list of pictures that have been posted on the board, going to them and posting comments. Everyone of us, even the more experienced quilters, but mainly the beginners, would love comments about the pictures of our quilt projects. I have noticed on several of the pictures posted, there are around 2,000 views (or more) of the thread but only 20 or less comments posted. I would like to suggest that we take a couple of minutes to make a quick comment on these threads to offer encouragement to each other. Each comment only has to be 10 characters and could result in a "pat on the back" or a "way to go" to someone who really needed it. Just a thought from my heart that I think could make a big difference. GOD Bless

Last edited by twinkie; 09-04-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 AM

I'd say that depends on why you are posting - about colors, binding, pattern, just to get some encouragement, proud of yourself for completing a project or learning a technique, a pat on the back and and lots of "likes" is very nice

But if you have shown an example with a stitch, FMQ, or technical problem not related to choice - seeing posts of "beautiful quilt" "nice job or colors" isn't exactly helpful when you want to know if it's the machine or you. A post of empathy might go over better. Been there, done that, a link to a post with the same problem for a newcomer or a good discussion of the problem would be far more on the spot.

I'd say read the post first and see which category the post is in.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:20 AM

I post pictures of my 'stuff' because I want feedback. I'm a good quilter.... not the best but not the worst either. I certainly can look at my work and pick it apart when it's needed. And that makes me work harder to improve all the time. But, having someone say, 'your work is beautiful' puts a smile on my face. Having someone say, 'I like the blue border instead of the grey one' helps me make a decision ( even though there will be plenty of people that like the grey better). And, getting 10 different ways to do something helps me discover a 'better way'. So, yes, I enjoy people's comments.

But I'm guilty of not commenting sometimes, too. Sometimes, I don't know what to say, I don't want to say something that might hurt anyone's feelings, or I see that others have already said what I'd say. But, I'll try to change that because, you're right. We do need to encourage each other. That's why we're here on this board, right?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I think that some quilters are still running a tight ship and just may NOT have the time like some of us have being retired.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I found that when a post ask for an opinion of the quilt, either color choices or workmanship, and get any negative feedback then too many jump in and say how awful someone is to give that opinion. Everyone gets a trophy seem to be the attitude no matter if obvious problems can be seen.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 AM

It is sometimes difficult to make a comment when you live in a different county and don't have a"Joanne" or what ever the shop is called. Other times the title of a thread takes you to a comment or question about a specific machine or notion which. Again may not have reached other countries.
on viewing quilt pictures it is sometimes difficult to think of a new response as your initial thought has already been posted.

i think even if not everyone comments it is good to see just how many read the thread.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 AM

Even when I go to the 'pictures' section of this quilting board, as a new quilter (still calling myself that after 4 years), I REALLY appreciate it when people describe the materials used to get the effect of the quilt they're posting. Such as pattern name, fabric type (cotton, flannel, etc.), thread used to piece, thread used to quilt (what was used on the top and bottom) batting used. I use this site to learn. As a matter of fact ALL I know about quilting is what you ladies/gents have taught me from reading all your posts and the answers you've given when I've run into difficulty. THANKS so much for your patience with we newbies. BUT answers to the above are usually what I wish I knew when I'm looking at your pictures.

Love to all of you and happy quilting,
Dray from SE Oklahoma
Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
Even when I go to the 'pictures' section of this quilting board, as a new quilter (still calling myself that after 4 years), I REALLY appreciate it when people describe the materials used to get the effect of the quilt they're posting. Such as pattern name, fabric type (cotton, flannel, etc.), thread used to piece, thread used to quilt (what was used on the top and bottom) batting used. I use this site to learn. As a matter of fact ALL I know about quilting is what you ladies/gents have taught me from reading all your posts and the answers you've given when I've run into difficulty. THANKS so much for your patience with we newbies. BUT answers to the above are usually what I wish I knew when I'm looking at your pictures.

Love to all of you and happy quilting,
Dray from SE Oklahoma
I never thought to add all of that information to a picture.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 AM

I don't always post because someone else has already commented in almost the exact way I would have.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM

I have actually posted about this issue.. I was apologizing for not posting on every picture.

My internet is so so so freakin slow it takes forever for the pictures to open. I really love looking at them, but to reply takes even MORE time. If I had better internet I would post on all of the pictures People with fast internet may forget what its like to not have that luxury