Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foot for FMQing >

Foot for FMQing

Foot for FMQing

Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Well, it sounds like I just need to practice more and see what is going to work for me. Glad to here about other options, I will see what is available for my machine (1950's SInger 15-91).

I can't wrap my mind around the ruler things either but I haven't really looked into them much. Sound interesting so maybe I should.

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Like someone else said, it's totally personal preference. I can't stand the "gattling gun" sound a hopping foot makes, so I use a floating foot. I don't seem to mind whether it's open or closed lol. I wouldn't worry so much about rulers or any of that fancy stuff, just try different things and see what you like. Janome makes a really great adjustable FMQ foot that works on many standard low shank DSMs. They make a high shank one too, it works great on my Juki 2010. Good luck, your machine sounds like a really nice all-metal bulletproof one
Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM

I use the Bernina Stitch Regulator which I love. Quite expensive, but it came with the machine. This also has the large plastic base so you're suppose to be able to see where you have been to know where you are going.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
In reading through the other thread about learning to FMQ I started wondering what foot people are using. I have a hopping foot but it seems so annoying (I have only barely done any FMQ but want to practice so I have options). What other foot can be used for FMQ? I have a walking foot but that is not FMQ.

Thanks!
Just wondering what it is about the hopping foot that is annoying you? Is it hard to see your work or the actual hopping that doesn't work for you? It might help you find a foot that works for you, once you identify the problem. There are so many variables when FMQing. It will also depend on what feet are available for your machine and some feet can be modified, as Leah Day did. Check her website for details. For me, I've found that I need a foot that I can easily see my stitching path.

Last edited by suern3; 01-27-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM

I'm a floating foot girl myself. I had the hopping foot for quite awhile but once I used a floating foot, I'd never go back. I just find it clumsier and not as flowing.

Watson
Old 01-27-2017, 07:51 PM

I used the "big foot" and loved it......after years of love and many many quilt stitchings, it snapped off. I haven't ordered another one, but am using an open toed hopping foot that I like as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:19 PM

I think it's just the hopping action that bothers me, seems to distract me. Trying to regulate my speed and hand movements, all while watching that foot jump around just drives me a bit crazy. It's like patting my belly and rubbing my head, lol.

Probably just need more time to get use to it.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Leah Day has a good video about the quilting foot and how to re do it to work for you.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 AM

I should check that out.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 AM

It's true that some presser feet have a spring on them and others don't. When you talk about "hopping," there's some hop that comes from the machine. If you put your presser foot on and watch it as you turn the handwheel, you can see the hop. It's a built-in eccentric on most machines.

I'm sure having fun with the Westalee ruler foot and templates on my Bernina 230. I've ordered the Bernina #72 ruler foot for the store, but they said they are "way back ordered."

The Bernina #72, #9, #24 and #29 feet all have the spring on them and the Westalee ruler foot doesn't.