Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
foot for topstitching >

foot for topstitching

foot for topstitching

Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Will the old 'standard' foot from the vintage Singer machines fit yours? It has a wide side on the left and a narrow side on the right, which makes top stitching really easy. This is what I learned on and still like the best for any straight stitching.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by newbie1001
Yes, I know what you mean. Just, like I said, I like to have that metal piece right of my edge that keeps me in place and keeps me from moving my fabric away from the distance I want. Using a visual mark only, without the foot piece that your fabric edge butts against, would make my seam inconsistent.
I never had a 1/4 inch foot until just recently, I always used the foot edges as a guide. I tried the 1/4 foot with the little metal flange, and had more problems trying to follow that. But if you feel you really need an edge to butt against, buy a piece of dR. Scholls moleskin at the drugstore, and make an edge just where you want it to be. Just line it up, stick it down, and you will have that edge to butt too. But really, try just using the inside edge of the foot, you can see right where you are stitching. Honest!!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Use the edge joing foot with your Janome - it allows more freedom to move your needle.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks all. Taping my own guide to the machine is something I thought of before, so if I feel the feet don't give me enough security, I'll try that.

Happy sewing!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I am not sure what kind of machine you have. I have a Viking and there is an edge-joining foot available that has a flange in the middle to guide with (they also use it for stitching in the ditch). My machine has the capability to move the needle in small increments to both the right and the left and I just move the needle to where I want it. If you have that feature on your machine, could you use a foot that allows you to move your needle over closer to the edge?
I have a Pfaff and this foot is called the narrow edge foot for my machine. It is one of the feet that I keep in a little basket beside my machine because I use it so much. I demo this foot in all my classes that I teach where there is top stitching, and almost every student will end up buying one. They are happy to get such accurate top stitching.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Depends on what I am top stitching. On only 2 thickness of fabric then I use my 1/4 in foot and use foot as a guide on fabric or off fabric. If I am top stitching on sandwiched quilt then I always use my walking foot so that the fabric does not creep. I can put one side of the foot off the material and the other side will still grab the fabric.