Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foot vs Knee >

Foot vs Knee

Foot vs Knee

Old 12-15-2021, 11:16 AM

Like so many others,I learned on a school machine with knee power. I now couldn’t imagine giving up the knee lift on my Berninas so there isn’t a question anymore. I have used pedals exclusively for more than 50 years.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a knee lift but seldom use it. I guess I am just so used to using my foot pedal and hand raising the foot .
I did not like my knee lift when I first got it. But, I found it did totally come in handy when I was doing applique around a wall hanging. I could keep both hands on my project, lift the foot with the knee lifter and turn it, lower it back on down and keep going. I did struggle at first trying to coordinate it and now I love using it even for piecing triangles. I can lift the foot enough to get the fabric under the foot and then lower it and start stitching without having to manually left the foot. OK, on my new Bernina, I can't even manually lift the foot! No foot lever!
Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 AM

When I learned to sew with sewing machines (around 1980) my school had machines with foot pedals and my mother's machine had a knee control. I vastly preferred the foot pedals. With my mother's machine, it was hard to get a slow start. Additionally, the knee control was a bit too high for me, so I had to have only my toes and the ball of my foot on the floor (raising the heel up as far as I could) to get my knee high enough. I know now that I should have created myself a foot rest with boxes or books, but I didn't know that then. I've never used a knee control machine other than my mother's.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:45 AM

I only use a foot pedal anymore. I haven't used a knee pedal in more than 50 years. Someone here mentioned to us here a product that I jumped on to purchase in early 2020. I couldn't wait to get it and it works! My foot pedal has hardly moved in more than a year! The item is "Martelli No Slip Pad for for Machine Foot Pedal". The link is, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I love it right now it is $12.69 with prime. The sight says they have 15 left right now. I find it to work better than anything I have ever tried to grip my pedal to the floor.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:54 PM

I put the loopy side of Velcro on the bottom of my foot. Now it sticks to the carpet and won't slide anywhere.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:42 PM

Talking Foot Pedal!

I was a medical transcriptionist for years and years, so I feel like my foot pedal is permanently attached now. No way I could sew without it!

Old 12-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
That is an easy one for me. Gotta have a foot pedal cuz I use my Knee lift all the time on my Bernina to raise my presser foot hands free. Comes in really handy especially when during applique.
I'm the same. I switched to using my left foot on the foot pedal so I could use my knee on the knee lift when I got my Bernina. I love my knee lift. I have it on the Juki also.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:11 PM

The first sewing machine I learned on was an old Singer that had a knee pedal, so I tend to like that over the foot pedal. I have one machine with a knee pedal, the rest are foot and I really don't like it that much because of the constant chasing it down, even after I've made the modifications to it to keep it in one position.