Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: formula for height of cutting table?

formula for height of cutting table?

I am having a cutting table made for me. I know there is a formula for figuring out the perfect height for it, but what? It has something to do with your elbow distance from the floor and then there's also something about the length of your forearm or some such. Anyone know?
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Place your arm next to your body with the elbow crooked (forearm parallel with floor). You will find that your elbow is about at the same height as your belly button. In my experience, ideal height is 3 inches below the belly button. This is low enough to provide pressure when cutting fabrics, but not so low that you are leaning over while cutting.

Here's some info. Hope this helps.
    http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelin...thy_sewing.pdf

Here's an article that gives some information. http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelin...thy_sewing.pdf

For many people, kitchen counters are the correct height for a cutting board. You might try cutting at yours and decide whether your cutting counter needs to be higher or lower.

OMG - great minds think (and search) alike!

This is great information. Thank you so much.

Good info! I need to redo!

Thank you all so much. This does help! I was pretty close.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Easy Peezy and Dunster. Very valuable information.

I have just read numerous articles on sewing.org. What a wealth of information. Thanks ever so!

Mine is 37.5 inches high. I'm 5'6" and find that height is very comfortable for me.

Im only 5 ft tall and everything is too high for me.
    I bought a ready made cheap cutting table at Joanns, it is 35 in tall and has drop leaves so dosnt take up alot of room. Of course it is too tall for me so had to buy a stepstool to stand on to use my table. It is a wooden 6 in stepstool and it works fine now.
    You need to be able to lean on the ruler to hold it tight while cutting.

I'm about 5"6 and mine is 36", it's the same height as my kitchen island.

I will be needing this info when I make a new cutting table. I need a big one!!!! Thanks for sharing
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I have a cutting table but it is so loaded up with stuff I hardly have room to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    Im only 5 ft tall and everything is too high for me.
    I bought a ready made cheap cutting table at Joanns, it is 35 in tall and has drop leaves so dosnt take up alot of room. Of course it is too tall for me so had to buy a stepstool to stand on to use my table. It is a wooden 6 in stepstool and it works fine now.
    Great Idea Rose Marie. I'm only 5'2" and have the same problem. My cutting table is nice and big and I have a cutting mat that completely covers it, but I've struggled with how I can use it best when I can't reach across it! I"m going to go get the step stool I use in the bathroom to reach the cabinet shelves right now!

Rob

I'm 5'9" and I am currently using a standard 6' center fold plastic table with cinder blocks under the legs. Works nicely for me

i have endured the progressive pain of dgenerative spinal disease since first diagnosed in '85. my hubs built my table for me. no calculations ..just what height was comfortable for me to work. i need to limit bending over because of excruciating pain. so ...he had me stand & measured where the top of table needed to be to accomadate my cutting & my standing to sew. i stand to sew, prolonged sitting causes extreme pain. whomever is building your custom table might try doing as my hubs did. i am short, and my table is a little low for some of the people who have sewn with me, but it's perfect for me.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hperttula123 View Post
    I will be needing this info when I make a new cutting table. I need a big one!!!! Thanks for sharing
    this made me laugh ..i needed a big one too, according to the hubs! lol what with space taken up w fur babies, piles of fabric, my sewing machines ...so he made my table out of a sheet of plywood. it's only 3' wide ..because my room was only 9' wide by 11' long and had 13" shelves along each side. but the table is 8' long. room for everyone & everything!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I'm 5'2" and my cutting table is 32" high. When I use my Go I use a lower table so I don't have to raise my shoulder to crank. Too many use the wrong height for cutting especially with the Go and then complain about how much it hurts. I had a Physical Therapist observe my sewing/cutting positions and then give me the proper table and chair heights. Best money I spent on quilting!
    I love my life!