Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Found a new method >

Found a new method

Found a new method

Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 PM

I recently found and am now trying a different method of basting a quilt. Go to Sharon Schamber's site and view the video.

She used 2 boards 3" wide to roll the top and the back on. Reversed the roll and started adding batting, basting an arms length at a time.She only did a small piece to demonstrate. But, says can do any size. You must see to know what I am talking about.

I am trying to do a full size quilt this way. After getting it based, that quilt (ain't) going anywhere. It's pretty easy, only time consuming but all the methods I've seen are time consuming. It sure beats crawling around on the floor to get it sandwiched and basted or pinned.

Please let me know if you have tried this and how you came out.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

I saw her video a while ago. I'm not sure I could do that for the larger ones. It looked great on the small one she did. You'd need a large area (table and boards) to do it.
Good luck. Let us know.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM

This method works great for me. I basted two queen size quilts in one day. I did mine on a five foot table. I love forgoing the pins.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

I have seen her video. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM

I have a 4 x 8 table in my shop where I used to make picture frames. So that is very handy. I didn't see how it would work till I got started on it. Thank goodness it isn't that hard.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM

I've seen this before. I still say pinning is much faster and I don't have to manipulate those boards. I use my cutting table, plastic spring clamps that I bought from Lowe's and big brass quilting pins. I smooth and clamp down the backing, add the batting and smooth and reposition the clamps onto the batting, position the the top and reposition the clamps and pin away. It is much faster for me, but then we all have our own way of doing things and there is nothing wrong with that. It is always nice to observe how others do things because you never know when you will pick up on a faster, easier way of doing things. This way really saves my back too, I must say!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM

yes, I have done this for a lapquilt and now a twin size works great for me. I have tile floors and it doesn't always work laying the quilt on the floor so this helps me because I can do it at the table. Holds nice and you can see if the back isn't smooth enough and fix it. I love her site...I glue my binding also like she says.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM

I can see where that would work well also.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM

I'm like you I like her site. I am not an experienced quilter and I have seen some new things on there.