Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foundation paper piecing question >

Foundation paper piecing question

Foundation paper piecing question

Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Default Foundation paper piecing question

I have been checking out Missouri Star daily deals and they have paper piecing squares for today. My question is are these fabric or paper? The price is too good for fabric! Thanks all.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

The ad does say PAPER piecing. What I find strange is that I couldn't find any indication of what kind of paper, and that would make a difference to me, if I were in the market for paper piecing squares (which I am not).
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM

I went to the web site, and it says this: "And I’m here to hook you up with those paper squares m’dear." (I added the underline.) That is a very good deal. I think I'm going back to make a purchase!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 AM

The deal that they have is for their string quilt. These sound on the video like thaty are similar to tissue paper (you can hear the crackle). Since the paper has missouri star quilt company written all over it, this paper would not be good for the original paper piecing where your stitching/design lines are on the paper. But they would be good for foundation piecing.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

They have papers for paper piecing. I have some and you get quite a supply. 250 for about $9.95. that's 25 10' squares. I also use tissue paper like for gift bags. Most of those are 20"x20'' and you can get 4 10' squares. Often you can get 30 sheets in one pack for a few dollars less. I use my rotary cutter (for paper) and 8" square ruler or any ruler for that matter depending on what size I want.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
The deal that they have is for their string quilt. These sound on the video like thaty are similar to tissue paper (you can hear the crackle). Since the paper has missouri star quilt company written all over it, this paper would not be good for the original paper piecing where your stitching/design lines are on the paper. But they would be good for foundation piecing.
I just want to clarify - when paper piecing, the papers are removed from the fabric before the top is quilted. When foundation piecing, the foundation (which is typically a muslin or muslin-like fabric), is permanently attached to the quilt top and is quilted inside the quilt.

So, are you saying these M* papers dissolve when washed? Hmmmm.... that raises some interesting possibilities!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 AM

I'm assuming it is a paper foundation that is removed as when string piecing. Thanks to Bonnie Hunter I like using telephone book pages. Have never had problems and it removes easily.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
I'm assuming it is a paper foundation that is removed as when string piecing. Thanks to Bonnie Hunter I like using telephone book pages. Have never had problems and it removes easily.
DANG - I just threw out the phonebook that was delivered. Who uses a phonebook anymore? Apparently quilters do!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I just want to clarify - when paper piecing, the papers are removed from the fabric before the top is quilted. When foundation piecing, the foundation (which is typically a muslin or muslin-like fabric), is permanently attached to the quilt top and is quilted inside the quilt.

So, are you saying these M* papers dissolve when washed? Hmmmm.... that raises some interesting possibilities!
We all have different definitions. I define foundation piecing as anything using a foundation (including paper) and paper piecing as a subset of foundation piecing.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM

They are paper and I love using them! I'm working on the Periwinkle quilt (among my many other projects!) using the triangle papers.