Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foundation Paper Piecing >

Foundation Paper Piecing

Foundation Paper Piecing

Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Default Foundation Paper Piecing

I just signed up for the Craftsy Class "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" with Carol Dorak.Through interntet searches I found she has software called Foundation Factory that you can download the blocks into to enlarge. Has anyone else had any experience with Foundation Factory? I am trying to be more accurate in my piecing so I thought I would give paper piecing a try. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM

I almost gave up on paper piecing and than I found a Craftsy class called Easy Paper Strip Piecing. This is by far the best and most informative class I ever took. Sorry I have never tried using Foundation Factory, but since taking my class I try to convert all (paper) piecing projects into easy paper strip piecing. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Cyn

I have never heard of it but will watch this thread to see answers.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM

http://www.quiltpro.com/
You'll find CarolDoak software here. I have them all and like them as well as other FF editions. Later on, when/if you buy any Carol Doak's books (Simply Sensational 9-patch, for instance) they usually have a software CD included so the blocks in that book can be downloaded to your FF software and is added to your existing Carol Doak/FF programs. Foundation Factory is the main program. I highly recommend it as I love paper piecing. The FF includes tutorials on PP, Check the site above! you DO NOT need to buy FF separately, it is already in the editions to run them.It might be a good idea to subscribe -free-to their Block of the Day newsletter on top right of the site.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

FF is a great buy at $10. If you buy any of Carol's books with cd you don't need FF to run it, the cd is a stand alone FF software with all the blocks in that book. If you have FF installed the book cd will download into it. To arrange the blocks into a quilt design, combine blocks, etc. you will need Quilt Pro Software.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

When you use the same pattern over and over, it is important to print at the same ratio or copy on the same printer. I've seen differences between printers and copy machines and suddenly your lovely paper-pieced blocks don't fit any longer.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM

I agree with hevemi and highly recommend these programs. I have FF and a bunch of other software from quiltpro. If you love to paper piece, this software is great. You can resize to your heart's content, which in my case is to go as tiny as possible! Kevin, my husband, says I'm nuts as I'm doing a log cabin variety with 2" blocks....all from FF and Carol's software programs.

Christine
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Easy paper Strip piecing crafty Class

[QUOTE=Tashana;5958032]I almost gave up on paper piecing and than I found a Craftsy class called Easy Paper Strip Piecing. This is by far the best and most informative class I ever took.

I have that class as well.

What I would really to do is make a sampler quilt. I do subscribe to the Quilt Block of the Day. I am trying to decide if I want all 6" or 8".
From what I have gathered so far, is if I bought one of Carol's books it would have the software included to resize it, is that correct?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Carol is the "queen" of foundation piecing. I have been lucky enough to take classes with her and have all her books (most come with CD's of the patterns). I also have FF which I love, too. Carol also has a forum which you can sign up for and get emails daily with some of her patterns. (Don't have the link at hand, but I'm sure if you google Carol Doak, it will show up). I find I do more foundation piecing than any other quilt technique.

Happy Quilting!
Anita
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Carol Doak has a group on Yahoo groups that has blocks, sometimes mystry quilts, and other type things. You have to subscribe to the group. Just go to Yahoo and look for groups. Then search for Carol Doak.