Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Foundation/Paper Piecing

I use just plain old copy paper, shortening the stitch makes it a lot easier to tear the paper away.

Power Poster
    I can give a tip on what NOT to do - and I thought I was so smart when I did it!

I sewed about 1/8 inch around each of my blocks with a short stitch - and then I pieced these little block together.

If I was going to do it again, I MIGHT use a very long basting stitch to keep the edges from flopping around - and then I would remove it before sewing any cross seams.

Those bits of paper were awful to get out. I don't think I have them all yet.

Dancing Needle - loved the block you did and I just may try that method. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    Ok since we are on this subject. Question??????

Do you tear the paper off after you get all your blocks made and sewn into a top or do you tear after each block is made? I got to thinking about that last night as I was making my sample block, what to do????

Thanks in advance.

Rita
    I like to rip mine after they are 'all' made. It could be time consuming for me to stop and rip right after sewing 'one'. Could be good if someone needed a short sewing break:)I like to rip when all the blocks are finished, while watching evening tv w/a small trash can right next to me...then I have a great group of blocks ready to sew in the morning-ready to go:)Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I am not an expert at paper piecing like some or most of you. But I buy the regular school paper cheap. I buy it for about .50 a package. It has lines yes but doesn't seem to bother me. It tears of real easy and of course I do have a small stitch, very small. Friend said use a larger needle too and I did for a while but found regular need works better too, so easy. Hope this helps you as I am a very green beginner.

Rita
    Never thought of using that paper...and, w/kids...I have a ton of it!:0)

Quote Originally Posted by The Babe
    Dancing Needle - loved the block you did and I just may try that method. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! It's fun to do. And the best part, no tearing when you're done. The block is ready to go.

Dancing Needle, I'm going to try your method. Your block is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    Dancing Needle, I'm going to try your method. Your block is beautiful.
    Thanks Minda. Yes, do give it a try. I can't take credit for the method though, Maride posted the link to the tutorial in answer to my paper piecing question. It's lots of fun. I'm searching for another paper piecing block to try now...I'm hooked! :)

There are several tips I can share. First use the cheap Tablet paper you will find in stationary. It is the kind of paper we use in elementary shcool. It is like the paper we use to learn to print on with out the lines. It is thin and will go through printer to print the pattern. The tablet does come in tablet form for around $2.00.

Another hint I read ( have not tried) Go over all the lines on the paper first with an empty needle. This perforates it and makes it eaiser to tear. Do not do this on the tablet paper as it will tear off.

If you use too heavy a paper you will have one job when you finish. You can dampen the paper too but if you used ink that is water soluable it will run . I know this as it happened t o me. Good Luck

I have tried both paper piecing for Foundation .... and Muslin. I still prefer Muslin. It doesn't stretch the blocks out of shape like paper, and the blocks go together better.
    I recently made a wall hanging of flying geese and actually tried both methods. My Muslin Geese were sooooo much better.
    I know a lot of people who use paper, but for me the Muslin is the best bet. You can also run the Muslin through your printer. I have found you need to allow some space on the Muslin where it first goes into the printer then it prints perfectly!
    Good luck!

I use printer paper too. But have also used the paper you buy in the toy dept. - kids drawing tablets - which is slightly tan or yellow. It is very very cheap, tears away easily without stretching or pulling the stitches, and goes through the printer fine. I also use a 1.5 stitch length and medical tweezers for small and hard to get at pieces

I do all my paper-piecing on my white Featherweight and set the stitch length at 20. I usually photocopy my patterns onto standard photocopy paper. One tip I was given but have never used is to sew your pattern pieces on the sewing line with an empty needle. This pre-perforates the paper, making it easier to tear away. Also, I try not to start tearing the paper away at the edge where the stitches are. I tear the paper in the middle of the block from the edge down to the stitching, then work from the center to each side. I try to tear the paper away in the reverse order that I sewed. Maybe that's just me.

I have just started doing Paper Piecing..didn't like it at first but after buying the "add an 1/8" and "add a 1/4" rulers...I want to do one piece right after finishing the last.

I have been using my regular copy paper from the printer and I use 1.0 to 1.5 stitch length.

Works fine so far...mj

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Aside from making your stitch length as tiny as possible and using strong thread, the only thing I can add is to use a larger needle to create bigger holes in the paper.
    Once you get it to work for you I think your going to love it. A lot can be done that is not possible with traditional piecing.
    Good Luck!

This is my first PP after getting those rulers...love using them. I have since machine quilted the background of this piece and around the figure. I am making individual ones for gifts and have made a triple one for my dil...
    it is such fun since learning the easier method...mj

this is called "Komona Grace". My daughter Grace, thought that it should be hers, since, after all, the name's the same !!!!
    Name:  Attachment-37544.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  42.3 KB

the above piece is 6"x7 1/2" before the borders. With the borders and binding, it is about 7 1/2"x9 1/2".
    Just nice for an '''anytime, any reason gift".

All I can say about your piece is WOW. That is very nice. And you did a great job. Good work and way to go.

Rita

Thank you both, Maria and Klue, for the information. Dancingneedle & mj your blocks are beautiful :thumbup:

azam.
    .thanks and Kamona Grace was such fun to do..........mj

Lots of good info here about pp. :lol:

You should always use very small stitches with paper piecing. An instructor once told me that if you tear the paper down the middle of the block and then tear it from the stitches, going left and right, the paper comes off much easier. I have been doing this for a while now, and I find it extremely easy. I just use regular copy paper and have not problem with it...... :wink: :) :)

Blog Entries
    I used the stabilized paper and found it harder to tear than regular typing paper. I try to get the cheapest paper I can get and haven't had any problems. The key is really the small stitches and they are a pain to take out when you make a mistake.

Judi...You can say that again. the main secret is not to make the mistakes in the first place........like that's going to happen....lololol
    mj

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2