Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FQ's at JoAnn's >

FQ's at JoAnn's

FQ's at JoAnn's

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM

If I am aware that FQ.s are short, I buy 2 when they are on sale. Then I am sure I will have what I need
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM

They make great Yoyo's and are good for any small item NOT needing washing.......otherwise, I skip them......
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq
They make great Yoyo's and are good for any small item NOT needing washing.......otherwise, I skip them......
You may not realize that most of Joann's fabric comes from outside the country. When it is imported it is fumigated and the boxes are sprayed down with an insecticide. I got this from a gal who has worked at Joann's for over ten years now. You may want to throw those FQs in a mesh bag or pillowcase and wash them, just in case. Otherwise it could not only damage your fabric over the long term but could quite possibly make you sick when handling the fabric. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Fascinating.....I did not know that. Thank You.....good to know.... :)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM

That is scary. I know I have used JoAnns fabric in baby quilts. I just hope I washed the quilts first.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq
Fascinating.....I did not know that. Thank You.....good to know.... :)
I about fell over when I was told this! I wash all my fabrics but that is because I'm allergic to a lot of the chemicals used when they are manufactured. I also recently had very extensive allergy testing done and discovered I'm highly allergic to a specific mold that grows on cotton fabrics. Another reason why washing them works well for me. Still, the thought of fabrics getting sprayed had never occurred to me. The gal who explained this to me told me I would be shocked at some of the things she's found dead inside the boxes of fabrics. Not just the normal flies, beetles, roaches and spiders, but also things like scorpions. Yikes! :shock: Now that would have been bad to discover alive and nesting in fabric.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Most fabrics get sprayed, as well as new clothes/fabrics in them. If you are sensitive, you should wash them all before using or wearing :D:D:D
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM

The FQ's being short AND the sticker will hardly come off either!
I have taken a few back..because it would not all come off..
I have bought them mostly for swaps,making mini 9 patch blocks in various colors. I hate finding a FQ i really like, and they don't carry it in yardage! lol! Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't!
all the FQ's in both stores near me are almost all out of them now..
I try to stick to yardage when i buy now..lol
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM

You can get the stickers off with lighter fluid, and it will not hurt the fabric. I do this all the time. (I absolutely HATE those stickers.)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM

I too have "bought-in" to buying cheap FQ's at JoAnn stores but when I got home I've been so frustrated I've had to throw them away! The price sticker that their supplier wraps around the fabric is absolutely impossible to remove completely. I have tried everything from soaking in hot water with detergent to goo-gone type products. So, consumer beware. The sticky residue and inferior fabric quality, not to mention the possibility of "fumigation" mentioned by another quilter in this blog is most likely not worth the discounted price. I have informed JoAnn representives about this problem and they're saying they're working on this problem with the supplier.