Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are FQs worth a little bit extra? >

Are FQs worth a little bit extra?

Are FQs worth a little bit extra?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy fat quarters to save money.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 AM

I have tons of fats. I only buy on sale. Joanns usually have them on sale for 99c so I buy alot of them.
On line you can get good sales also when that particular line is getting old and new ones are coming out.
They are so easy to use. By the way I always buy 2 of the same pattern, that way I get 1/2 yd.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 AM
bj

I love fat quarters. I do mostly baby or lap quilts and they are perfect. I look for funky ones that make a great accent in a quilt but might be a little too much in big doses. I love it when I find them on sale, which is not often enough!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

I was told they were coming out with something new but to date nothing has shown up!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM

I agree with all that you say, fat quarters are much more usuable than 1/4 yard cuts. Did you know you can get 99--2" sqs or 56--2 1/2" sqs or 42--3" sqs or 30--3 1/2" sqs or 20--4" sqs or 16--4 1/2" sqs or 12--5" sqs or 12--5 1/2" sqs or 9--6"sqs or 6--6 1/2" sqs or 4--9" sqs etc., including one only from a fat quarter of size 12" up to a size 18" square. So for exchanges it's a good buy. Especially if they are on sale. My LQS has a deal that with the purchase of 5 fat quarters you get one free. Also, once a year they have a sale on fq where if you purchase 25 they are then one dollar each. I love the pattern, Yellow Brick Road, I usually take just 6 coordinating fq's and put a 6 inch chenille border and backing and call it good. I love the packets of fqs from a line too. Already coordinated.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
By the way, was in JoAnn's and noticed that their fat quarters were gone except for a small pile of uglies. The sales clerk said that they were eliminating them because they weren't selling. Anyone else notice this?
I noticed this when I was in there a few weeks ago. Didn't ask about it but I did wonder if they were getting rid of them. I've been disappointed withthe quality of their F4's, not to mention that you can't get a real feel for it due to it being all stickered up.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I'd pay 2.25 for a fat quarter...but then our fat quarters are 5.49 each!
oh my - tell me what you want and I will try and find it for you. Think how many fats would fit in a flat rate box...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
JLD

Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
A comment on another thread got me wondering...
Are FQs worth a premium price? Not talking a LOT extra...
As in, if running yardage costs $8 / yard, is $2.25 a fair price for a FQ? Or should it be $2?
Is it worth the little bit extra? Or not?
If a fat quarter costs more than a quarter yard cut (which is usually the case), I get a quarter yard cut. Plus, that way I'm assured that I indeed get a fat quarter. The rest goes into my stash as a fat quarter. After all, stash is where it's at !!! :lol: I only buy fat quarters anymore if they are on sale at a great price or if the fat quarter is the only piece of that "must have" fabric. My one exception to this is I am addicted to black & white fat quarter bundles.

By the way, was in JoAnn's and noticed that their fat quarters were gone except for a small pile of uglies. The sales clerk said that they were eliminating them because they weren't selling. Anyone else notice this?
I bought some from Joann's a couple months ago - when I got them home they were not FQs they were too small. They told me that they were having problems. I had wondered if that was why they quit carrying them. I am not sure!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Paying more for a FQ is alright for me. Someone cuts them and bundles them and prices them. Plus I find I can get more cuts out of a FQ than a 1/4 yd of cut fabric. And when making small projects it is easier to just get a FQ bundle in a color way than taking the time to look for 4 different fabrics.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
Paying more for a FQ is alright for me. Someone cuts them and bundles them and prices them. Plus I find I can get more cuts out of a FQ than a 1/4 yd of cut fabric. And when making small projects it is easier to just get a FQ bundle in a color way than taking the time to look for 4 different fabrics.
I guess I would only do this (pay more) if I just wanted a couple and the fabric was not available on the bolt, versus several fat q8arters;. I too have bought bundles, but not very often. I find that when I buy a bundle, there is usually one or two of the colors that I want more of and then I cannot find the fabric in the store. So, I would rather pick out fabrics myself more often than not. This way, I know I can get more than a 1/4 a yard if I like the color or need more of it.