Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fractured Quilts

Does anyone have instructions on how to make a fractured quilt? Something like shown here

http://brenda723.vox.com/library/pos...sooner+quilts/

where you use multiple panels and cut them at an angle and sew them back together off center?

There may be another name for this technique. I recently saw it at a quilt show and I'd love to give it a try.

No I didn't. Thank you for the link. That is so awesome.

I'd be thinking my eyes were playing up every time I looked at it. :lol: :lol:

There's a book available on how to make them. http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Fract.../dp/B0026XRCXW

Banned
    yes, its a fairly simple technique, there's a book on the market that teaches you have to make the most simple to the most detailed fracture.

http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailsgg.asp?b=4302&m=888

What a cool quilt. I'm not sure I could make it. It would make me think I have double vision.

Thank you so much for the references. I'm going to look for the book as well as some fabric today!

This was done at one of the quilt classes that I've attended. It was a class where at least three different projects were covered. As I wasn't particularly interested in it, I didn't pay that much attention. I think it was just two identical panels each cut at the same angle but not at the same exact starting point. It almost give me a headache to look at it. I thought it would be a cruel joke to display one of these in an ophthalmologist office---that or it would drum up more business! ;) :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Wow, this is a gorgeous way to
    make a wall hanging!! :D I am so
    glad you shared this idea, with all
    of us here on the QB!! Thank you.
    :D :D :D

Here's a google book on it. I hope it helps. I'm going to save it for future reference. Thanks for posting that quilt!

http://books.google.com/books?id=DWv...0quilt&f=false

I searched all over today and didn't find any books with fractured quilts in them. There is another method I keep seeing that is also called fractured quilting, where multiple people take a section of a design and piece it with their own fabric. You end up with one big quilt, but each section will have a variation of the color scheme.

BUT- my day was not a loss! While in a neighboring town, I stumbled on to a quilt shop I never knew existed! Their fabric selection was enormous, so I'll definitely be going back.

Brenda Esslinger's book is available many places online, including from the publisher. http://www.ashtonpub.com/books_other_authors.htm You can order from them online or by mail. I just assumed it was her method you were interested in since it was her blog that you linked to in your original post.

Thanks, ghostrider! I could tell from the blog that the author taught the method, but I didn't read enough to get the details.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Hi! Thanks so much for sharing this quilt. I've never seen them before. Very awesome.

Well, I bought the book and have been playing around. My seams aren't very straight here, but this was just my practice block. This is fun, I just wish I could find some better fabric. (I like the fish examples from the author's blog!)

Fractured Roses
    Name:  Attachment-52721.jpe
Views: 2030
Size:  47.2 KB

That's lovely. I really like the roses.

Blog Entries
    WOW, that is so neat. I bet it would be a good way to use that fabric that you buy. When you get home put it away and a month later you get it out and think "What was I thinking"

Blog Entries
    I recently took a class on this, but my fabric choice was one I won't choose again. My GD (who loves horses) took one look at this panel and decided she wants it to become a quilt for her.

My DH and friends think I've really lost my mind making this. I have to explain comments like "I can understand making a quilt, but cutting the same pattern into tiny bits and putting it back together into the same pattern - why????"

I think this technique is more suited to flowers.

shattered horses
    Name:  Attachment-54504.jpe
Views: 953
Size:  67.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Wow...those make me cross eyed, but its a cool technique it looks like. I might have to try it sometime.

I'd never heard of these before, but I love them. I'm sure I've seen the fabric I'm gonna use, if I can just remember what store it was in. Thanks!!!

The instruction book had an example that was a wintery cabin scene. Probably a Thomas Kincaid-type print. I thought it would be fun to find something like that and then put a window frame around it. Maybe like Attic Windows? I bought a some panels of cats with garden flowers and might do a window scene with them. "View from the Barn" perhaps?

Blog Entries
    KSCrafter,
    I was so taken with the Fractured Quilt book, that I put it on my Christmas list this year!! :D Luckily my DH found one & gave it to me. I am so anxious to try this method out, but first I want to let you know how pretty your first try turned out!! :D Have you done any more fractures?
    Cheryl (sulabug)
    :D :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by KSCrafter
    Does anyone have instructions on how to make a fractured quilt? Something like shown here

http://brenda723.vox.com/library/pos...sooner+quilts/

where you use multiple panels and cut them at an angle and sew them back together off center?

There may be another name for this technique. I recently saw it at a quilt show and I'd love to give it a try.
    I could not open your link, but it sounds like the quilt I am working on now. I am using blue and brown blocks.

In the search at the top put in chop and sew. it has the instructions. If that is not the one you are talking about,
    I'm sorry.

But mine is turning out beautifully, I will try to post pics tomorrow, I am almost finished