Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frame for sandwiching the layers >

frame for sandwiching the layers

frame for sandwiching the layers

Old 04-22-2021, 07:33 AM

Default frame for sandwiching the layers

I'm struggling with a queen size quilt. I can't get it flat enough and get the puckers out as I'm pinning. thinking it might help to get a large quilt frame such as a Hinterburg hand quilting frame that I can load the fabric on, pin it and then take to my domestic machine for quilting. I found a 9 ft frame for sale. Has anyone tried this and it is possible.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM

You could try using pool noodles to help you. See these two video as examples. There are lots more out there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0j7u8bGW7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpmWfZdxGSI
Old 04-22-2021, 10:22 AM

I use this method and have done large quilts with no problems. I do not, however, pin baste so I'm not sure how this would work with pin basting. It seems like it would still keep the quilt flat and easy to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaIzuoY6Bg
Old 04-22-2021, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I use my glass topped dining room table. Do the center first, then I move it up or down and pin. I just keep doing it this way until it is all pinned. I use large safety pins. I have done this for many years and many, many quilts.

You could start at one side and work left to right. I always smooth as I go. When changing to another long area. I make sure backing is smooth, then batting and top.

The frame would work.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:35 AM

I pin on my cutting table. I use large binder clips to hold everything tight and in place and move around as necessary. Been doing this for years with no issues. Even over-size king quilts.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

There use to be a basting table top frame you could buy. May be still available.

I have a large rectangle dining table, bar stool height. One time I had a bright idea. I put the quilt back on top of it, add weights to the ends of the quilt backing and top. My husband had small round weights with holes in them. I ran fabric though the holes and tied to a binder clip. It worked great but it took took too long for me to thread baste. I like to use spray or powder and I couldn't spray in the dining room or heat the table with an iron. If you have the place for a large table, use weights.

I have seen the very large binder clips and they would probably be good weights. You don't need a heavy weights, just evenly distributed.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-23-2021 at 07:40 AM.