Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frames for FM >

Frames for FM

Frames for FM

Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 AM

I'm thinking about getting a frame that you can turn your machine into a longarm for FM. I was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought about it. The one at the dealer is $1800.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Banned

one thing to consider is the amount of space you will have to turn your ordinary machine into a long arm.
If the space is only 9", you don't have much space when the quilt is rolled up. If you have ony 9" and the quilt rolls and takes up 5" then you only have 4" area for quilting. Be sure and see them in action before buying. You may want to consider an inexpensive commericial type machine to give you enough space.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:32 AM

I've been seeing a lot of frames on craigslist going for almost nothing. I'd check there first before spending that much money. I bought my pinnacle frame and janome 1600p complete with all the accessories (stitch regulator, plastic pattern perfect set, etc) AND delivered to my house and brought inside for $2000. It was 'barely' used'
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM

i also have seen instructions on how to build your own
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM

I too would love advice on this. I just got a quilting machine, Not long arm but with a 9 x 6 space under the arm. so far I have only done qayg, but really want a frame for it and cant afford to spend a lot!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

No matter what you do, you can't turn a DSM into a longarm. It just doesn't have the throat space. Many people do buy frames for the DSM and are quite happy with them. Another way to go is to try quilting in sections. I found that was a very good way to FMQ a large quilt with a DSM. (This is not the same as QAYG, which another option.)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
No matter what you do, you can't turn a DSM into a longarm. It just doesn't have the throat space. Many people do buy frames for the DSM and are quite happy with them. Another way to go is to try quilting in sections. I found that was a very good way to FMQ a large quilt with a DSM. (This is not the same as QAYG, which another option.)
Doesn't this method also require the back to be done in pieces instead of a single back? I have trouble figuring out how to join up the "pieces", and I have Marti Mitchells book and still cant figure it out. :cry:
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign
Doesn't this method also require the back to be done in pieces instead of a single back? I have trouble figuring out how to join up the "pieces", and I have Marti Mitchells book and still cant figure it out. :cry:
The book gives several different ways of joining the pieces, and gives examples to help you determine which way is the best for each quilt. Some of the methods require that the back be done in pieces, but I think one of the methods just has the batting done in pieces. You do need to think about how to section off the quilt before get to that part.

If you have a quilt that you want to do in sections, pm me and I'll try to help.