Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Frank Lloyd Wright quilt

Frank Lloyd Wright quilt

Has anyone on this board made a Frank Lloyd Wright quilt? I can obtain the book by Jackie Robinson, but am wondering if you have had experience making one and how difficult it was. Also are there certain colors that are traditionally Wright colors? or is it okay to use your own color choices?
    Thanks for your help.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I have made two, both from Jackie’s patterns. Used my own color scheme. Be very careful to clearly label and separate all of the strips that you cut, keep your 1/4” seam allowance, and you will be fine.

Here is one: even with care, the chevrons are upside down. Still looks good to me.

Name:  7D005468-DE51-46D9-A434-A9A2081A08ED.jpeg
Views: 1360
Size:  362.9 KB
    Last edited by Krisb; 07-02-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I don't know anything about Frank Lloyd Wright quilts, but Frank Lloyd Wright was known for bringing the outside indoors. He incorporated a lot of windows in his structures. I would think greens and browns and blues would be the color choices to go with. Or maybe the oranges and reds of Autumn. Whatever colors are found in nature during different seasons would work. But the first color that comes to mind is green. Some of his houses take advantage of the water around them too, so blue could also work.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Put Frank Lloyd Wright in the search box. There are a number.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I made one many years ago. It hangs in my office and is getting a bit faded. I don't remember it being terribly difficult but does require precise sewing to get it all to match up. I may make another at some point. I love FLW's designs, especially his windows. And since I was born in Buffalo, my quilt is from one of the houses he designed in Buffalo, along with buying all the fabric there while visiting. Reminds me of my roots and family.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I made one, king sized. I see no reason why you can not use what ever colors you want. Itís the ( architectural design) that is Frank Lloyd Wright.
    i donít have great picturesó king size is hard to photograph
    Attached Images Attached Images

hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I made one, king sized. I see no reason why you can not use what ever colors you want. It’s the ( architectural design) that is Frank Lloyd Wright.
    i don’t have great pictures— king size is hard to photograph
    So, So gorgeous!! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting. I am anxious to get started now.

LOve them!
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I haven't ever made one of her quilts but always wanted to. I heard a lecture she gave at Quilt Festival one year and it was really good.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I have loved FLWright's designs ever since I studied his work in college. I always wanted to see his house, "falling waters" but old age has now made that impossible.

The quilts are so beautiful. I had never seen those patterns before. Guess they will have to go on my list.

Have never seen any FLW quilts but the ones posted are fantastic.

I have heard that they are difficult, but perhaps the issue is precision.

The only actual Frank Lloyd Wright buildings I have visited are the Biltmore in Phoenix (beautiful glass) and his southern headquarters - Taliesin West in Scottsdale. Just thinking about them and seeing the FLW quilts on this post make me want to do one.

Here's her website. She has a few FLW patterns on it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight