Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fray check problem/question for Long Armer >

Fray check problem/question for Long Armer

Fray check problem/question for Long Armer

Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Fray check problem/question for Long Armer

I used fray check or something similar on some applique blocks I purchased at an estate sale several years ago. I used it because the applique was not turned edge, but had a blanket stitch only to "stick" it to the background. I tried using a clear thread and and a small zig-zag stitch, but was not successful (I sure wish I had waited until my skills improved.). The fray check left really stiff edges all the way around the block. I don't think it cam be removed. I'd like to make a quilt out of the blocks, but I'm concerned that a long armer won't want to quilt it with that fray check on there. It will be too large for me to quilt on my DSM.

Thanks,
bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0530.jpg  

Last edited by bkay; 03-28-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 PM

You should tell the LA'er about the fray check. If it were me, I'd do an echo stitch around the outside of the applique..that will make the applique "pop".Depending on how heavily it is applied..it may not be possible to stitch along the seam inside each intersection, but they could do some sort of design that would highlight the applique, stitch 90% of it down, without going all the way out to the edges where the fray check is. It is doable.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM

I think you can get the fray check off with rubbing alcohol. I would put some fray check on another piece of fabric, let it dry and then go after it with a Q-Tip to see how it works.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by UFOs Galore View Post
I think you can get the fray check off with rubbing alcohol. I would put some fray check on another piece of fabric, let it dry and then go after it with a Q-Tip to see how it works.
Thanks, I'll try it. The plates are so beautiful that I can't bear to mess them up. The colors are so bright and cheerful that I don't want to mess this up. I bought them about 3 years ago at an estate sale for $10.00. Everything was hand pieced and about half done. The plates were complete and the sashing was attached, but the cornerstones were not sewn in.
Finished well, it will be a "knock your light out" quilt. I want to do it justice.
bkay
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 PM

I don't know what it will do to the fabric, but I used to get Fray-Check off my fingers with finger nail polish remover.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.