Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frayed seams question >

Frayed seams question

Frayed seams question

Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

The only time I trim fabric threads is if it is a dark thread under a white fabric. As Ginger mentioned, probably no one else would notice in the finished product. Threads that don't show through can stay just as they are. Often colored threads don't show enough for me to bother with; it is only really black or very dark threads that I will nip off, and then only as a last step before sandwiching. It does help to use good quality fabric, and it does help to starch.

One fabric I don't want to use again is Kaufman Kona solid black, as it creates way too many strings when cut into strips for sashing. Fortunately, the quilt I used it on was made up of very colorful batiks so I didn't have to worry about black showing through a solid white. Even the light batiks were dark enough for the black to not show through enough to worry about.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I also only trim stray threads when doing the "final press" before sandwiching.

Sometimes giving the top a good shake or two before starting trimming will dislodge a few threads.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Gay

I like to starch well before cutting, and don't have any fraying, even on bias edges.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:29 AM

Thanks for your answers. It sounds like most of you do what I do...get the long threads but don't obsess about the shorter ones. I tried perfectly trimming one row of 3 1/2 " 4 patch blocks with one inch sashings with cornerstones around each. Took me longer than piecing and pressing the row combined!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM

If it really bothers you, you might try spray starching before sewing. Sometimes that helps.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 AM

I've wondered the same thing--on quilt I'm working on now there is lots of fraying and I'm thinking of spraying with sizing and then trimming. Really don't want to starch.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Unless it's a high contrast thread on a light fabric I don't worry about it too much. I spent A LOT of time cleaning up the seams on a red/white/blue and thought I got them all. Of course I didn't and there's a lovely red string under the white patches. Since there is nothing I can do about it, I just live with it.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Do you not worry about frayed seams eventually "working out" and causing an opening in an otherwise "healthy" quilt? I have a top (not yet quilted and it has lots of fraying) I have wondered if I should just trash it.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Madgie Rae View Post
Do you not worry about frayed seams eventually "working out" and causing an opening in an otherwise "healthy" quilt? I have a top (not yet quilted and it has lots of fraying) I have wondered if I should just trash it.
Quilting relieves stress on seams -- the closer the quilting, the better. I wouldn't trash the top, but I would make sure to machine quilt it closely. For close quilting (lines 1" apart or so), I prefer polyester thread (I use Glide) over cotton thread because the quilt stays soft. Close quilting with cotton thread can stiffen the drape.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Quilting relieves stress on seams -- the closer the quilting, the better. I wouldn't trash the top, but I would make sure to machine quilt it closely. For close quilting (lines 1" apart or so), I prefer polyester thread (I use Glide) over cotton thread because the quilt stays soft. Close quilting with cotton thread can stiffen the drape.
I did not know that......I am switching to polyester thread. thanks prism99