Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freddy and Gwen 1937 Revisted??? >

Freddy and Gwen 1937 Revisted???

Freddy and Gwen 1937 Revisted???

Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Hello,
I am a newbie posting here, so hello to everyone!
I was at the Sisters Quilt Show yesterday and saw a darling quilt from the Freddy and Gwen Collabrative Quilting Book, so I went into Bend and found the book so I could make the quilt. The quilt name is 1937 Revisted and although the directions to make the quilt blocks is very straight forward there is no dimensions on the size the strip pieced rectangle should be. I would assume the horizontal side would be either 42 or 44, but how long should it be? The strips are supposed to vary from 1 to 3 inches- but does anyone know how "tall" I should make the panel? I also assume you are supposed to use scraps to make this, but I have some specific fabric in mind I want to use for this quilt, and I have no idea of how much total yardage I should end up with for the blocks (not counting the sashing- that I can figure out).
Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, but if anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
Molly
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM

What's it look like? I haven't seen it so it's hard to picture.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Can't help. Envious of you getting to Two Sisters. Also welcome from Alaska.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 PM

I have no way to upload an image, sadly. Here is a link to the picture from the book- http://books.google.com/books?id=uks...0quilt&f=false

The instructions for the quilt start on page 86.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Fran,
I was born in Anchorage. I still have family there- my Grandmother was born there as well- back when it was still a tent town!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM

It looks to me as if you cut the strips the width of the fabric and then sew the strips together and then cut your blocks out of the resulting piece. The width of the strips is up to you. Also, as it stated you can vary the widths to get a different effect.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM

I know that I will be cutting the strips the width of the fabric, but what I can't figure out is how long I need to make the fabric. I know it will be something by 42 or 44 (the width of the fabric)- I just can't figure out long to make the strips- say each strip of fabric is 3 inches by 42/44- how many strips would I need to sew together?
Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!! Sounds like you are getting some help.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 AM

OK, I'm a little confused. Are you putting the blocks together indivdually or in rows. If you're doing rows then I would put the whole row together and measure it then cut my length for the middle sashing if you want a continuous piece of material.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 AM

As nearly as I can tell by looking at the link you just sew strips together to what ever size you want then cut your rectangles. If you want them to be 8x10 then use narrower strips, if you want them to be 14x16or18 you could still use narrow strips or you could use wider strips. This is sort of a "Do It Your Way" quilt. You wouldn't even have to use rectangles, you could use squares. Just jump in and start and I believe that you will find that you are over-thinking this quilt. It looks fairly simple. The only thing that you really have to be concerned about is using the same angle on all your blocks. ie: if the strips on the first block are going at a 45 degree angle across your block then all the blocks should have that angle.