Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free fabric? >

Free fabric?

Free fabric?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Anyone out there know how to obtain free fabric scraps for quilting? Thought in this green era it would be smart to reuse.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 AM

join freecycle in your area and ask if anyone has scraps of material. when I started card making I got lots of books and stamps papers all sorts of things to help me get started
Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Anyone out there know how to obtain free fabric scraps for quilting? Thought in this green era it would be smart to reuse.
Many people use their stashes down to nothing, while others here sell their scraps for a great price so they don't go to waste. Every now and again someone offers crumbs free-for-shipping, but honestly? You'd have to be quick.

My best advice: Stop by and chit chat awhile and get to know us! You may luck out and "accidently" be online when someone wants to unload some of their extras!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Not free but close to it.

Some thrift shops have bag days where any clothing you can stuff into a paper grocery sack is on price---usually just 2 or 3 dollars. If you fold and roll tightly you can get about 20 or more 100% cotton shirts into a brown paper bag. It's a little time consuming to cut the buttons, cuffs collars and yokes off but you end up with some nice fabrics. Yards for almost nothing.

You can also advertise on Craigslist, Freecycle or in a local paper.
Most quilters will share.
There are people in my town that pass fabric around all the time. When I was making stockings for Project Santa we had a lot of fabric donated. Some of the things we couldn't use. We passed them. Some to a group that makes boo-boo bears for local hospitals to give to kids in out-patient and emergency rooms, some went to a group that makes book bags for needy children, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM

If you lived close enough to pick it up I have 2- 30 gallon trash bags of scraps that a woman gave me. I would give them away.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Not free - but really cheap - go to garage sales/yard sales and find 25 or 50 cent men's shirts, skirts, sheets, etc. and cut them up to use. You can find some great fabrics that are very reusable pretty cheap!