Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion help >

Free motion help

Free motion help

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 AM

I've spent the last hour trying to do some free motion practice. I''m really happy with the way the top looks but you turn it over to the back and my top thread is being pulled to the back. Eyelashing is what this is called. Well each and everyone of those eyes are winking at me saying " and you thought you had this free motion thing figured out, we'll show you". And that they have. I never had this problem on my old singer that no longer works. My problem when it worked was just me and getting comfortable with free motion. Now I'm comfortable and the machine is trying my patience. Do you ever just want to pick up your machine and throw it across the room, take it out back and take a hammer to it, run over it with a car. Yes I'm venting and rambling on....thanks for listening and if you have any advice on how to disipline my out of control machine it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 AM

try the search, I think someone posted about this and it was the tension (which on my Juki, is different when FMQ.) Please double check because it could also be the way the machine is threaded. Shoot it took me from May until now to figure out that to prevent the thread breaking every 10 inches on my Juki and Grace frame that I needed to go left to right, not the other way. Goodness am I just a slow learner..............
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Rethread your machine, check to see if you bobbin is wound correctly, then make a sample sandwich out of the same fabric you are trying to FMQ. Adjust your top tension one notch, or number and check your stitchs. Do this till your stitchs are balenced. Try loosening the tension first. I have to adjust my tension for every quilt I work on. Don't know why. Work on the sample till you're happy with the stitchs. If you get frustrated, walk away for awhile.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM

It could also be your taking the curves too fast. But start at the beginning, check the threading, and try to balance your tension, then try taking it a little slower around the curves. Does the tension seem to be alright on the straightaways? Take a break then start again, don't let it get the better of you. Before you know it you will have it down, and you'll be doing it and realize, I'm doing it, and really enjoying it. You just seem to fall in a groove with your machine. So, don't get frustrated.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 AM

Problems on the back are tension on the top. Eyelashes are a common symptom of going to fast on curves or the tension is too loose on top. I agree with kwiltkrazy.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Things are looking better. Ajusted the tension on the top, and the bottom(again). Changed from a 90 to a 70 needle, and put the pedal to the medal. My thinking was if I'm taking those curves to fast then I needed to speed up my machine. Still a couple of winks(eyelashes). But I think with a couple more practice hours I should be fine. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

I have to control myself on those curves too. If I get eyelashes that's where they are. It's getting better everyday though.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM

When FMQ with my Brother 1500, I have to test check tension with every new bobbin. I keep a practice piece next to me all the time.