Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion quilting and fabric movement or lack of!!! >

Free Motion quilting and fabric movement or lack of!!!

Free Motion quilting and fabric movement or lack of!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 AM

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.. Since it was Halloween last night I didn't get a chance to try anything. Tonight I am going to adjust the pressure foot tension and if that isn't the problem I will load up and go the dealer!!! Love this QB for all the help. I will let you know how it all goes.. Again thanks for the help
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM

I have a Janome 6600 and the fmq foot I have has an adjustment on it, does yours? If it's too close to the fabric, I t. will definitely grab while you're trying to quilt. I sometimes put the feed dogs down, and sometimes I leave them up, depending on thread. I don't think the foot that came with my machine had the adjustment, but the extra set I bought does.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 AM

I have a 7700 and 6600, which I've done tons of fmq'ing on. Definitely adjust the pressure on your presser foot (I take mine all the way up to 0 or 1, depending on the machine. Another problem could be your thread. Make sure you can pull both top and bottom through easily, while you have the presser foot up. When my quilts don't want to move, it's usually because the pesky bobbin thread has looped around something. Also, I use a thread stand, no matter what type of thread I'm using. This works really great to help feed the top thread through, but I do have to be careful that the bulk of my quilt doesn't accidentally lie on the thread spool (small table issues). Good luck!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM

I haven't had this problem "yet", but I'm interested to know what the problem is when you find it. Please post your solution.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 AM

It would be helpful to know the model you are using. The darning feet for the Janome have a screw that adjusts the height of the foot itself. When I first put mine on I had to raise the foot by turning the screw, otherwise it was very difficult to move.