Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!! >

Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM

I'm trying to learn to free motion quilt, read the books, practiced, practiced, My problem is the thread tenson, it always loops on the bottem. Am using a Simplicity Quilter, have cleaned and oiled, changed thread several times,still can't get tenson right, looks better when sewing forward, but when I go side to side or backward loops, yes I lowered feed dogs, going slow, or fast does not make any differance, any help would be much apreciated. as it has a drop in bobbin, don't know if bobbin thrad can be tightened.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

do you drop your needle down and then raise it back up and take hold of the bobbin thread to bring it to the top? that is important. usually the cause of messy thread on the back. you hold the bobbin thread and top thread and take a few stitches almost in place. then you can start quilting and stop and clip those thread ends to get them out of the way and continue sewing.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

interesting...but sadly, this is one of those situations that SEEING it is what helps us figure out what is wrong...what about your needle?? Did you put in a NEW really fine needle?
What type of thread top/bobbin? So many variations...hard to pin it down without actually seeing it as it happens!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Is there an owners manual to the quilting machine. On mine, I have to adjust the bobbin thread first, the manual explains how to do it. There is a little screw that I turn for the tension righty tighty, Lefty loosy. That is the first thing I learned when I bought my Jewel quilting machine. I would read your owners manual before I mess with it though.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Could be a problem with your thread and/or needle size/type. What thread are you using? Is it a new needle? What size and what type of needle?
Power Poster

It sounds like your top tension is too loose. Since you don't know how to adjust the bobbin thread tension, you will have to adjust the top tension until it no longer pulls too much thread to the bottom. Make up a lot of samples and keep trying until you can get the tension worked out. Sometimes a thicker thread in the top will help also. Good luck.

Whats your tension setting. Is it at 0. Can you adjust the presser foot pressure. Does it have needle down function. Most of it is practice, but sometimes it can be the settings on the machine.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Another idea is to use the little plastic washers in the bottom of your bobbin. La Pierre Studios,
Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers available from J. Hittle Sewing Co. online.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM

So sorry you are having probems with your FMQ.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 PM

I know its hard, but try slowing down...ALOT! Especially on the curves..remember: its a learning curve. (no pun intended! sorry! lolol) In my case a BIG learning curve!