Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting on home sewing machine. >

Free Motion Quilting on home sewing machine.

Free Motion Quilting on home sewing machine.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned

and here are some more pics along with my first free motion quilt - i just did it yesterday
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24806.jpe   attachment-24809.jpe   attachment-24810.jpe  
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi there,

This is my first time on this website. I am going to try and machine quilt using my Kenmore sewing machine. I know I need a free motion quilting foot, but are there any books you could suggest on machine quilting. I am going to get one from the library and wanted to know if anyone had a good suggestion. I am hoping to learn on my own and avoid taking a class.

Thanks a bunch,
Joelle
Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

i have a book called Easy Machine Quilting Jane Townswick Editor. it was published about 8 years ago so there might be better things on the market.

i purchased it because i like the quilt patterns in the book. it has a pattern and lesson taught by caryl bryer fallert - i just love her quilting style.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Kluedesign, I just watched a demo of the Flynn Multi-Frame. Was it complicated to get everything set to do your free motion? Do you like the frame?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

its really not complicated at all.

you hand baste the quilt back to 2 different rods, then you hand baste the bottom of the quilt top to another rod.

then you lay everything out on your work surface or the floor.

the bottom goes down first, then the batting, then the quilt top. you hand baste the batting & quilt top to the top of the quilt back and then wind all fabric onto the rods.

there are 2 braces that go on the ends of the rods to keep them lock in place.

and now you're ready to quilt.

it was super easy. i was able to move the quilt around the just my index fingers.

since the pattern i used was an all over continuous line design i was able to do needle down and unwind and move the quilt without ever lifting up the needle.

it was such a pleasure to quilt - this was a first for me - when i quilted in the past it was like a big time wrestling match between me and the quilt and typically the quilt won the match :D

i highly recommend the frame - if you get it at all brands its 70 (no shipping or tax) and they have a coupon out for this month so i think you could pick it up for $65 right now.

i spent $65 on nonsense quilting stuff to try and improve my quilting when all i really needed was this frame.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 AM

One big mistake I made when I started free motion quilting was: I forgot to put the darning foot down! The darning foot does not sit down on the fabric as other feet do, and if you aren't paying attention, you think everything is set, and then you will get huge loops underneath (ripped out the same quilting THREE times before I found out what I had forgot to do).
Also ... it does take time and practice to get stitches the same size ... heck! You can't even do that with a speed regulator on your quilting frame and sewing machine (have no experience with mid-arm or long arm quilting) ...
You are not going to do anything but get better from here on out, and the advice about "writing' your name and alphabet (practicing penmanship as it were) is the best practice you can do!
Our local quilt shop has classes for learning how to use a long arm, and of course, we work on samples for that class ... it is just about using the thing, not set up, etc ... anyway! They make a quilt of muslin, batting, and muslin ... when the little quilt is completely covered by students or whomever, they just bind it up and send it to our local humane society ...
the potholders were also a good idea, because who wants to practice and then just throw the thing away? I don't! LOL and, most of us don't want to spend time doing anything that will go from machine to trash ... so, I thought I would share those thoughts, also.
Really enjoyed the comments on the Flynn quilting System, also. I have talked myself in and out of the concept, I can't tell you how many times ... I feel a change of mind coming <g> LOL again ....
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM

I learned using two layers of white with batting between and started out with just practise ,practise, and more practice. It gets to be alot of fun yuo can even make shapes. Just remember to use gloves so your hands don't get so tired.Have fun, remember that part fun :D . SandyMac
Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 AM

I found that if you use the walking foot for the middle of your quilt then did free motion for the borders it is a great way to learn free motion.
I bought simple stencils for borders, like hearts or leaves.
With borders you are always sewing without bulk under your machine so it is much easier to handle.
I have a Flynn frame and dont like it at all, everyone is different. It is only good for baby quilts which are not that hard to quilt anyway. Larger quilts are much to hard to handle with that frame.