Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting. . . .is really hard!! >

Free motion quilting. . . .is really hard!!

Free motion quilting. . . .is really hard!!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
It is very hard to follow a drawn pattern for FM. just do it
on your own. it will get better. practice on 18" sandwich.
machingers gloves, loosen upper tension a bit. keep your shoulders down, machine with table extension or set in a table so you have a flat surface. scrunch you quilt up around the area, easier than rolls or folds. sm. glass of wine.
new needle. thread that your machine likes (I find cotton covered poly gives me the most problems. relax. practice.
some day you will say "yahoo !" or to H--- with this. when that happens, go with your gut. try again in 6 months.
you either love it or hate it. Smitty
lol @ smitty ~ that small glass of Wine would be motivation enough to get Me started! hahaha...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Power Poster

I have a hard time using the paper to quilt over. For some reason, I seem to have trouble seeing the design at times and then I can't keep it smooth. And yes, it is HARD to get the FMQ thang down. Just don't give up. Practice - practice - practice....you will get there. (Take it from someone who is on the same journey.)
Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 AM

Don't worry..you will get the hang of it... just practice,practice,practice :lol:
Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 AM
tmg

To know your pain. I am learning also. I know the quilt police will be after me for doing this but I leave my feeddogs up. It seems I have more control over my work.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:24 AM

I share your pain too! I use up my stash and sew up 4 ugly FQ or fabric other people give me to quilt with (you know the kind don't you?) into a largish rectangle, layer up and practice my free motion. If there's a motif I try echo lines or I try out filler stitches. Need oodles of practice. My most "successful" FMQ is my doodles. Since forever I've always doodled loops, zigzags, and circles - those I can do with my machine. Maybe we should ignore what other people do and use what we do with ease then we can relax at our machines. Not much help I'm afraid if you don't doodle.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:58 AM

I am still learning but with every time I try this again it gets better (not easier yet). I wonder why your practice FMQ always looks better than the real thing. I sew with music on and try to sew with the beat. I started making a new purse yesterday and for the first time put the quilting foot on and started a stipple pattern without messing it up too bad. Half the problem with getting started is to just do it! Pictures when the purse is done!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 AM

You will find it easier to get good results on a practice piece as it is not as large as when you have to wield the big quilt around. Try to do a "quilt as you go" project to start with - that way you are only quilting smaller squares and then sewing them together. I have done a few and they are much easier than managing a full quilt as most of the bulk can hang off to the left of the machine. I have done the Cheryl Phillips 'Rings that Bind" and a Cotton Theory project which you can find on Nancy Zieman's website. Hope you feel more confident as you have success. It took me 2 years to have the courage as I didn't want to 'ruin' my tops.