Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Free Motion Quilting

8) Yes I feel myself it is Like Longarming only you don't have to stand up!! Free Motion is what your doing when you long arm only they don't want you to know it. I know cause I have a Longarm and standing is the pits for long hours . I Have a Table and going to move it to a cabinet quilting set up and only stand up when I want to. just my feeling and my aching Feet!!! :twisted:

Blog Entries
    :lol: i love free motion quilting. When I made a baby quilt I outline figure , 2hich las already on the fabric and the go---go--- go! In between I jusst do anything thAT I LIKE. iT FEELS VERY FREE. i DON,T HAVE A PICTURE BECAUSE i GAVE AWAY TOOO FAST. tRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
    CEEGEE

:lol: Thanks! Actually, it is the FIRST kit I ever bought. It's from Connecting Threads & the price was so reasonable that I couldn't resist it. I still had to cut out the templates & I traced them for the outlines with an air marker. I couldn't survive without those things!

ok dumb question. What is free motion quilting? Do you need a quilting machine, or just a sewing machine? Do you need special accessories, if it is for a regular sewing machine? I have no clue, I just see what everyone does, and am amazed. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Machel
    great job Aggi, I have done a little bit and I am still scared. They say drink a glass of wine and that will help you relax and feel it. But unfortunetly I like wine.

Machel
    Wine helped!!! Actually my latest favourite is the Boones Sangria!!! I agree with you I love wine too!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    Wow, this is really awesome Aggi...i am DONE with my handquilting now! lol So my next project i'll be trying out my new darning foot, and hopefully making out as good as you :) :) :)
    Do it Barb!!!!!!!!!! Don't just think about it!!!!!!! It's soo much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SBTexProQuilter
    8) Yes I feel myself it is Like Longarming only you don't have to stand up!! Free Motion is what your doing when you long arm only they don't want you to know it. I know cause I have a Longarm and standing is the pits for long hours . I Have a Table and going to move it to a cabinet quilting set up and only stand up when I want to. just my feeling and my aching Feet!!! :twisted:
    Maybe someday I'll get a long arm, but for now I want to master the technique before investing in the long arms. They are more pricey, so I want to be comfortable quilting this way before buying one. Not to mention making sure I have the space to house one :)

Quote Originally Posted by tarib
    ok dumb question. What is free motion quilting? Do you need a quilting machine, or just a sewing machine? Do you need special accessories, if it is for a regular sewing machine? I have no clue, I just see what everyone does, and am amazed. :D
    Tarib, if your regular sewing machine can either lower the feed dogs, or cover them, and you have a darning foot, YOU CAN FREE MOTION QUILT!!! I have only done the one quilt, but now I am an instant addict and can't WAIT to get the next quilt started for quilting!

ooh btw, here is the link to the finished quilt!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15514.page

thanks Aggi. I can lower the feed dog, just need a darning foot, (whatever that is) :oops: tarib

ok I looked it up, now I know what a daring foot is, and no I don't have one, but maybe in due time........ :-)

There is no such thing as a 'dumb question'! Free motion quilting is when you lower the feed dogs & control the fabric with your hands & the speed of the machine. It is tricky & takes practice. :evil: You do not have to have a quilting machine but you must have the ability to lower the feed dogs & have the quilting/darning foot. It is grnerally used to stitch designs on a quilt or anything that you have made such as place mats, wall hangings, etc. Go to "about.com" then go to quiltingit is a great site for all levels of quilters. Good luck if you decide it's something you want to do! :D

:wink: You can also cover the feed dogs with a cardboard or a plastic template piece with a hole cut in the middle. I began with the cardboard and I have no trouble with the plastic but did when I used the CB ,Now I have a couple of machines that drop the feed dogs but still use my little singer with a piece of Plastic it does just as good. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by sewin'sam
    :lol: Thanks! Actually, it is the FIRST kit I ever bought. It's from Connecting Threads & the price was so reasonable that I couldn't resist it. I still had to cut out the templates & I traced them for the outlines with an air marker. I couldn't survive without those things!
    OK, so what's an air marker??? :oops:

Comment about the feed dogs -- It seem somewhere, maybe Sewing with Nancy or on Simply Quilts, someone said that if the feed dogs can't be lowered, to set the stitch at zero and the feed dogs won't move. Was I dreaming or does anyone know if this is possible? Would it be possible to do free motion over the "dogs" if they aren't moving? Just wondering. Will have to try it when I get to the machine.

1st...."air markers" are marking pens, usually purple, that disappear after a certain length of time. If you want to speed up getting rid of the marks, just spray with water. They also come with a blue on one end but the blue must be removed with water. It depends on the fabric on how long the marks stay, sometimes they are gone b4 I can sew on them! Other times they last a couple of days. They cost around #3.50 but last a long time.
    2nd......If you can't lower your feed dogs, you can buy a 'plate' usually metal that fits over your feed dogs. Then you can free motion quilt on your machine. That works well. I mark my patterns for free motion quilting with the markers (unless it is a stipple or other 'all-over' pattern, then I can try to stay on the lines! I'm not great at it but I'm getting better! Good luck! :?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3