Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM

I have FMQ about 11 quilts. You can tell which two were my firsts. because of some pleating on the back. I have a Sapphire 850. I started out spinning the quilt around and when I did my last 4 kings I tried something different. I took blue masking tape across the middle-- went to the center and quilted side to side. Flipped the quilt around and did the other end. It really helps to draw out your pattern on a piece of white butcher paper and hang it where you can glance at it especially if you are doing leaves, stars or a pattern. It has been said before look ahead of your needle not at it. The nest on back I believe are thread and tension issues. I get occasional eyelashes think that is due to speed, going to fast in the curves. Keep at it you will either love it or not. Someome said the magic genie washers will help the nesting problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM

I just got a new brother and I found it picky about the thread. Mine will not fmq unless I use 100% cotton thread. Play with thread on a sample you might find the issue....hope that helps
Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I am just finishing up a quilt (lap size) that I tried 2 techniques on that I never tried before. I think you would- maybe- call them FM, I'll post soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM

I took a FMQ class and one of the best things I did was buy a practice cloth with all of the different FMQ stitches outlined in black on the muslin. My instructor sold me a piece of tempered glass and I covered the edges with painter's tape. I use a felt tip pen and put the glass on top of the pattern I want to practice. I can do the same design hundreds of times until I am comfortable with it. I just wipe off the glass and try again. It works for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM

I enjoy FMQ but save larger quilts for the longarm which my friend has. I find FMQ puts me in a relaxed zone. The more I practice the better I get. It is fun to take large prints and echo the outline, then they pop.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM

I have done FMQ on my Janome for several years with very good results. Practice, practice, and more practice. Try using a large flower design and quilting around the edges. Start small!!! Get a kids coloring book and tear out the pages and sew on the lines with no thread for practice. Don't forget to drop your feed dogs.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 PM

I love to FMQ I use everything from cookie cutters to stencils and drawing free hand. This is the most amazing calk it doesn't fade when you handle the quilt top as you go. And the white will show up on the darkest of fabrics.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM

this is the marking tools I use, it's the best I've found.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-marking-chalk.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi View Post
This is the best site for all free motion quilting questions. Leah has videos that are very explicit. I have used her directions for many of my free motions projects.

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...tart-here.html
Have you triede FMQ with the feed dogs up like Leah suggested? I want to practice but I have a deadline on 2 quilts and I haven't had time to play.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM

I use really fine thread that way it does not show the mistakes as well. I use 100 wt. silk thread on top and the bobbin. That is what I have found that works for me. I also have used 40wt. poly and that also works good. At least until I get good at it and then I will try different threads.