Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting >

Free motion quilting

Free motion quilting

Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
I don't use my single hole plate, mainly because I always forget and break needles when changing the stitch to zigzag, etc. I also don't always lower the feed dogs. Sometimes it seems to give me a little better control when they are up.
I have a single hole plate, but after breaking too many needles, I don't use it for quilting anymore. And, most of the time I also don't lower my feed dogs as I have better control. That might depend on your machine, maybe you will have to lower them, but you could try both ways and see which works best for you.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 AM

I agree on Leah Day's Craftsy class on FMQ. It is great. She has a special offer for it on her web page. She also has some free lessons on her web page doing FMQ. Craftsy will give you a brief preview of the class so check it out.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM

You can do great FMQing without the single hole plate. Just give it a shot and you'll be surprise. Remember, that like everything else, it takes lots of practice and practice makes perfect!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A single hole plate will be a disadvantage to doing FMQing. I always have my zig zag plate on when I FMQ in case the needle is pushed/pulled a little off center. If you have the single hole plate on you will have to be super careful not to hit it and break the needle or knock the timing of your machine off.
A single needle plate will NOT be disadvantage, but its also not necessary. I like the single needle plate for piecing, and keep it on for FMQ, but you don't have to have it. I'm concerned that if you're pulling your fabric so much it's out of the single needle hole, you're not sewing as fast as you're moving. You may need to speed up your machine a bit, or you'll start breaking needles just by pulling them to the side.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM

I don't use a single hole plate--probably because I'm too lazy to switch them and I've had no problems.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
You do not HAVE to have the single hole plate to fmq. In fact, the only thing the single hole plate helps me with is to stop your machine from chewing up the beginning edge of the fabric when piecing.
Ditto to that
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM

That plate is not necessary at all. Practice is the key to FMQ and also drawing the design with a pencil and paper helps it register in your brain. Have fun
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM

from one newbie to another aren't we glad you all are here